1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Monster cable question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kaxx, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Kaxx

Kaxx

Apr 1, 2007
    Columbia, MO 65201
    Hey guys, I have a couple of questions about my monster cable. It's a 1/4" to banana plug 6 foot or so cable. First of all, I had to redo the banana end of it because the original had strands of wire that were coming loose and I didn't want to risk them shorting out my amp. So I bought a $5 banana end that uses screws to tighten the wire to it. I think I did a pretty good job, but aside from using an Ohm meter to check continuity is there any other way to be sure that I did this right? It should be a pretty simple fix, but I'd like to ask any "professionals" how they might go about it and any suggestions would be very helpful. The reason I ask is that I just had to send off my Eden amp because it's really starting to act up on me, possibly because of my plug or possibly because it's been an extreme workhorse the last three years for me.

Or, if your opinion is to just buy a new cable, should I get another monster cable considering their high price and the fact that the banana ends were so cheaply made? It sux that I have to use banana, but my amps and speakers use either banana or 1/4" cables, no speakons unfortunately. Also come to think of it, why in the world are they called banana ends anyway??

2. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Since its a monster take it to guitarcenter and swap it out for free..

3. Kaxx

Kaxx

Apr 1, 2007
    Columbia, MO 65201
    Do I need a receipt to do this? I'm not the original buyer of this plug.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    If you bought it at GC, I think they can trade you for a new one on the spot, IIRC. Not sure if you need a receipt... I don't think you do, but you'd have to double-check the warranty's fine print.

Personally, I don't think the price of a Monster cable is worth the quality. Or the hassle of the warranty, for that matter.

5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I won't claim they're the best cables ever, I haven't used every cable ever to be able to compare. However, I've had no hassle at all with the warranty. I walk into the store, put the broken cable on the counter, and tell the sales person I need a new one, and they give me a new one. That's it. However, I have never tried to return one after I have performed experimental surgery on it. IMO the time to return it was as soon as you noticed a problem. Maybe they'll still take it back, you can try. It shouldn't hurt much to try.

6. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    No receipt? Seriously?

I guess I should be giving them more credit, then.

But their power supplies are still grossly overpriced! :p

7. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Every single thing Monster makes fits this definition.

8. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Its worth the extra amount to be able to just exchange it no questions nomatter how many times...

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It is to Monster, that's for sure. The day after they lost money on the deal it would no longer be offered. :rolleyes:

10. JordanP

JordanP

Jan 5, 2007
    its true, no reciept, no reasons, no questions. Just take it to a GC and tell then you want a new one, its that easy, takes 2 minutes.

Just try not telling them you performed surgery.

11. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I have a Monster Bass cable direct for the company in the S.F. Bay Area, I think it was in Millbrea before they set out to retailers while they were still into high end audio. I still use it today as well as all the special short cables for the rack and 2 spkr cables for my WW's Ultimate. All still working great.

It could be that when you srewed down into the wires, you may have spread the wires out and not get a full contact of the whole gauge. Usually one would add some solder to the wires to help them stay in full contact.

12. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    Simply try the cable! As long as you have completely eliminated the frayed strands, there's virtually no chance of a short circuit with the new banana plug. Of course, begin by bringing the volume up very slowly just to be safe. Hopefully you also checked the polarity of the banana plug connections. Unfortunately even a commercial ohm meter won't show if you have a complete connection to all the strands because it really isn't sensitive enough, but most of the time this is not a problem with these kinds of replacement plugs. Macgroove's suggestion of soldering (or "tinning") the wire before inserting it into the replacement plug is a good one. This will guarantee connection of all the strands as well as help prevent them from fraying again.

Monster MAY not choose to honor the return/exchange guarantee if you have modified it with a new plug, but it's worth a try.

I don't know why they are called banana plugs and not strawberry, peach, tangerine, or mango plugs...

13. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    I love monster cables, but i will not use them with my sadowsky.
    The angled cable side just doesn't fit right and it will cause noise if the cable is jostled.

14. there is NO hassle of the warranty. i've never needed a receipt to swap a monster (i've only had to once and it was my fault). just go to GC and they'll set you up with a new one

15. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Yeah, I know that now.

I thought it was more difficult to do the switch... but apparently they've got a pretty impressive arrangement with their dealers!

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Dual banana plugs are among the easiest connectors to install. If you took care of the frayed strands and have the clamping screws tightened down well onto the conductor part of the wire, there is little than you could've gone wrong on.

Soldering the strands would not be a good idea. Never solder stranded wire that you're going to clamp or crimp a connector onto, because the solder will slowly cold flow from the pressure and loosen the connection. It's better to clamp down right onto the copper.

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It is impressive; the dealer markup on cables is very high to begin with, and Monster is especially lucrative.

18. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Thank you Bob for that, my apologies for miss guided info. This was info about soldering the wires that I was given from many techs. Glad I'm now straight on that.