Monster cables a problem?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jon R, Jan 29, 2002.

1. I read somewhere (here?) that monster cables were hard on the input jacks on a particular brand of bass. If this is true then it would seem that monster cables would be rough on ALL basses/guitars and amps.

1. Is there any fact behind this?

2. How, specifically, are they hard on the jacks?

3. Should I throw out my monster cables?

4. Should I have my brain checked for even asking these questions?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

3. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Monster cables use the same 1/4" phone plug that all instrument cables use. If anything, they should be even softer on your input jack because they are gold plated, and gold is softer than the other metal they usually use.

I say number 4 too. :D

Whoever said that needs a whoopin'. I am a very satisfied customer with my pair of Monster Standard 100 cables. :) They really know how to put these things together.
  4. Monster Cable jacks are different then the usual G&L or Switchcraft jack. Monster cable jacks are flat and flush at the contact point on the sleeve. Others generally have a 30 degree grooved bevel that can sometimes be unstable.

Actually I have found that Monster Cable jacks are better then others because they click in flush and solid and can't wiggle around as much as Switchcraft jacks.

And you can't beat the Lifetime guarantee.
  5. I'm not sure... like I said I don't really remember where I originally heard it... but it might have been a Ken Smith/Monster Cable issue.

I agree, I think they're great cables. I use them for my bass, my home stereo, and my DVD/VCR type connections too.

Is it possible that the extra weight of the cable side loads the jack??? :confused:
  6. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    It was the Ken Smith Vent thread where you heard it; I might add that it is the ONLY time I have heard about the Monster Cable plugs "eating" jacks. I've had mine going on 3 years, zero problems.
  7. gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    there is a problem with planet waves cables. they dont work in every jack. I have a problem plugging it into my sans-amp, move it around and it cuts out, anywhere else its fine.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No problem with the plugs on Monster Cables that I have ever heard of, except for that one post in the Ken Smith thread.

Yep. I've got one. Won't work with my Pedulla Rapture J2, my Peavey Cirrus or my Zon. Works great with all of my cheap basses. Won't be buying another one of those cables.
  9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Me, too! It cuts out when I use it with my Tobias bass. I have to rotate the plug in the jack to get sound back. I had to stop using it.
  10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I say #3. Except instead of throwing them out in the trash and letting them go to waste send em over my way:D
  11. Am I the only one who has had problems with them?
    In the last three years, I've replaced my Monster Bass Cables at least 6 times. I don't think that I'm hard on them, and I don't think that they damage the output jack on any of my basses... but they never seem to last very long before they develope a bad connection or the 1/4" jack just falls apart.

They sound much clearer than regular cables, but the lifetime guarantee is the only thing that keeps them in my set up. While on tour last summer another one broke, this time I replaced it with a Monster Jazz Cable. That Cable has been fine so far.
    The clerk at Guitar Center told me that they get returned all the time for ceasing to function or falling apart. But when you've poured so much money into a few of them and you can always get them replaced for free, it's hard to just replace them with something more dependable.
    The same thing has happened with my guitarist's Monster Cables as well, I know I'm not dreaming this up!

12. embellisher

Hmm... I've had mine over a year now, no problems so far.
  13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
  14. On my third monster cable in a year. sound great and really no hassle replacement so I'm not complaining that I have a habit of breaking them somehow.
  15. Monster cable ok, I like whirlwind elite or George L Vintage Red or Guardian cables.
  16. embellisher

Is the end shorting out like it does on cheap cables, or is the cable shorting out somewhere in the middle, is the end coming off, exactly what is happening?
  17. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I use fairly cheap cables (yorkville) and find them to work fine. I wouldn't pay as much as a monster cable costs just for clarity. I don't see the point!
  18. slightly more off topic.

My fender pro-tone cable (oh the irony) won't fit into the jack of my fender tuner. oh well.
  19. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL

Well, some of us like to hear our expensive basses, so clarity is very important...

20. EdenSmith

EdenSmith Guest

I have 2 of the Monster 500 Performer series AND I use them with Smiths and I've never had a problem with the jacks. I had to replace (warranty, of course) one of the cables about two years ago because the shield wire was broken somewhere in the middle of the cable. I'm not complaining, though, cause I've had 'em since '95. And the clarity....:)