Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Monster Cable's Quality and Lifetime Warranties?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Aug 12, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    So I've had a couple monster cables, and I know they have lifetime warranties. You can return you cable to a dealer if it breaks, goes bad, etc...I've had to use it twice alrady. IMHO these cables are not as good as they're cracked up to be. The quality is really not very great. I bought one recently which had to brought back 2 weeks later because it went dead. I've been throughAnyone else have similar experiences?

Anyway, the salesguy at a certain chain mega-store convinced me to buy them. He said no matter what happend to it you can return it. I've been through 4 in the last year.

So, do you think this would be covered under the warranty?

[​IMG]

Post your experience with this brand of cables...I personally think they're garbage. I'm curious if others have had similar experiences.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The jacks also have larger barrels...from the gold plating I guess and it often wore off after use. Besides that I always found Monsters way to stiff to use on stage without tripping on.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  4. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    LOL :rollno:

Edit: Those bayou cable look nice...I might have to get me some of those.

5. I agree, way overpriced IMO. My local music store sells lifetime cables from an unknown manufacturer with their name on them that are priced great with excellent quality. It's all we ever use.

Oh BTW - I think I know why your going through so many cables :p Dog's...gotta love em!

6. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I've got a couple oxygen-free cables by Gig Lines that have been going stong for over 2 years now, and they're much cheaper. Good cables...not sure if they have a liftetime warranty though.

I heard somewhere that Monster's QC went way downhill lately because of their product demand. I guess they used to much better quality before they were the staple cord you see in so many shops. I wouldn't be suprised. Seems like alot of companies cut-corners when they get bigger. :rollno:

7. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    People should also check out Lava Cables. Very high quality, great tone and very affordable.
    Also, Evidence Audio. These are my personal favorites. They aren't cheap but they sound fantastic and are built like a brick...well, you know.
    I previously used Monster but after my experiences with Lava and Evidence, I'd never go back.
    Just my $.02.

8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I have returned/exchanged Monster cables to GC after a short time cuz they failed. I had my reciept and had no problems getting them exchanged. I think it's great that they have the warranty but that's overshadowed by the fact that they failed in the first place. I always carry an extra chord in my bag just in case, but so what!! I can't afford to have a cable fail so I quit buying them. On top of that, the salesperson @ GC conducted the return with such efficiency, from what I could gather it is a regular affair.
    I am all about Mogami Cables now. There silver series is sounds great, nice and soft, flexible and above all, reliable!!

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I paid $27 for a monster 21 ft cable last week and i plan on getting a new one in the next few weeks because i have already heard cracking. I thought these things had lots of life but i wasent prepared to spend $59 on the model up cable.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I like the cables fellow TB'er fretlessrock makes for me. They are of superior quality, and are made with high end parts. I have NEVER had a single problem with any cable I have bought from Pete. If I did, I have zero doubts he would replace it. Plus, I would rather send my money to a fellow TB'er than a corporate giant.

-Mike

11. MAJOR METAL

Mike how much are his cables?

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    $1 a foot, plus a couple bucks for each end you want. You pick the type and color of the cable, and what kind of end jacks you want. He makes them by hand, so you'd have to contact him with what you want, and he can give you a price.

-Mike

13. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I basically made the same thing as those Bayou cables for myself. Canare GS-6 cable and Neutrik ends. Haven't had one fail (except for those first few when I was learning about how to avoid cold solder joints). I've now got it down to a science and I've been making some sweet 10 gauge speaker cables with horizon cable and jumbo 1/4" jacks (and the occasional speak-on).

If any of you are "do it yourself" kind of guys, it's really not that hard to learn. My suggestion is to get a powerful iron (I use one of the trigger guns) that allows you to get a hot joint done fast. Remember to not touch the gun to the solder when you're making the joint, or else you're 90% likely to end up with a cold joint. Have the tip on one side of the wire and chassis, and apply the solder to the other side (just enough to cover the bottom of the wire, it doesn't need to be a big standing pool). It should melt like butter and solidify to a shiny surface. That's all you need to do folks.

The only cables I've bought are Planet Waves, which I like because of their compression springs in the end that hold the jack in place (if anyone knows where to buy them individually, I'm all ears). I've never had one fail on me.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm a working pro and I buy whatever the cheapest cable in the store is. I don't give a rat's ass what people say about cables...they're all the same to me. Monster is a cable company that based their marketing on voodoo. They can't prove to me their cables work any better than the crappy cheap cables you can buy at Radio Shack. I don't go quite that cheap, but there's no need to spend ridiculous money on a Monster cable. Maybe they can hook their cables up to an oscilloscope and show you that they have a better transfer of microns or some other BS like that, but does it matter in the real world? Nah.

15. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    i own a couple monster bass' they worked well for me, although i only have them hooking up my wirless to my head. :smug:

16. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    I bought a 15ft planet wave cable a few years ago. It was about $30cnd. I havent had any problems with it. The people at the store told me I could just bring it back to get a new one if anything happens to it. I'm planning to buy a longer one tomorrow.

17. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    The Carle Place, Long Island GC carries the parts, but I've never seen such in another one, not even theone in NYC. I'm a fan of George L's, only cause if you buy off PedalGeek the cable's cheap, the ends last, and i haven't had one die on me. However, i do keep extra patches by my pedal board just in case. I use planet waves from my guitar to my board, then a george L from my board to my amp. I figure it's a smaller cable to trip over and the planet waves doesn't really wind up the way monster does. I have one monster cable that's like 10 feet, i use it as a back up only.

18. What!? I paid $50.00 for the 21 footer! Are you talking about the one made for bass?

19. MAJOR METAL

Yeah it didint have gold plating and came on a non protected cardboard back.

20. Oh, alright. :cool: