1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Monster cables worth it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sandman1278, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Hell Yea!

13 vote(s)
    21.3%
  2. No way!

38 vote(s)
    62.3%
  3. I don't Know! Just use carrots!

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. With xmas coming people want to know what to get me, are these high end cables really worth it?

Monster Bass Cables

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No, they're not. If you do some searching you'll find a lot of debate about this already, but the bottom line is nobody can hear any difference with high-end cables versus working-class ones in a blind test. The only thing Monsters have going for them is the lifetime warrantee. If you want better bang for your buck, check out http://bayoucables.com/ .
    :)

3. For the lifetime warranty and availability of swap-out almost anywhere, I say yes. That's why I use 'em.

4. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    nope! there are much better cables (mogami, planet waves) that are actually (usually) a little cheaper, and also have the exact same lifetime warranty.

5. The only place I've seen with mogami is GC, but almost every music store I've been into, save a few tiny ones, has monster. The pw/monster debate is personal preference, I just personally prefer the thicker gauge of the monster, and the jack ends seem more solid to me.

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I don't use them personally, but a guitarist friend of mine does just for the warranty.

7. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    +1

8. hawaiianbass

hawaiianbass

Jul 23, 2006
    Laramie, Wyo
    Bayou Cables all the way!

CK

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

The good thing about them is that you can take them back to the store and get another one for free when it wares out.

10. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I use Monster and Planet Waves.

I like Planet Waves better. Some Monster's 1/4" plugs seem to be bigger than standard by a few microns, and can be a hassle to plug in in certain basses - really tight and do not plug out easily, you have to twist and wiggle the plug. Obviously that fault can be in the plugs in the basses, but it only happens with Monster cables.

Planet Waves are smooth yet very secure, thanks to the flexible notches in the tip.

11. Phew.

It's been a long time since I've seen a poll with a carrots option. I was beginning to wonder about this place ...... but it seems back on track!

On topic: I think they're too expensive, and I tend to use Planet Waves or Yorkville just cause that's what they seem to have at the store I go to. But I guess snake oil ain't cheap to come by ...

12. So what about the low end version of these cables?

13. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    You can run your monster cable through a wood chipper and take it in and they will replace it free no questions asked. That is a warranty.

You never have to BUY another cable FOREVER.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd rather have a high quality, hand made cable that doesn't need a lifetime warranty to get people to buy it. With a soldering iron and 5 minutes, I can repair any handmade cable, and don't need to find the nearest Guitar Center to replace it.

I'd rather repair than replace, especially when it's easy.

15. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    +1

One repair every ten years or so doesn't bother me as much as a 120 mile roundtrip drive for a "free" replacement would.

16. I think they are good quality cables, but I think there are better ones for less money. Personally I think they are way too stiff. As far as the warranty there are several manufacturers that offer a similar warranty. I'm like tplyons,
    I prefer non molded connectors so I can repair them with a soldering iron and a few minutes time.

17. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    I've gotten the one I had originally replaced twice already. Once I just asked a friend to do it for me because he was already going to the GC. No problems. Thats why I love em.

18. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Monster cables aren't manufactured to spec and trash your i/o-s

Bayou Cables rule! Butch is a TBer, Dudepitter, Badassbassplayer, and all around most excellent dude. Screw the big companies, buy a better cable, for less money, from someone you can contact directly. Plus you can even have them custom made. He made a 1/4" right angle stereo to 1/4" straight mono for our accordion player. Butch is the MAN!:bassist:

Not that I have an opinion or anything....;)

19. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I have spent the extra money on them and found that they don't sound any better and have never out lasted my cheaper Live Wire cables. I get the same lifetime warranty on the Guitar Center Live Wire cables anyway.