Monster Cables

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by VS, Jun 20, 2002.

1. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I use Monster Cables exclusively and love the sound they carry. Anyone else fond of the difference in tone? I know $40 for like 12' is a bit much,but it's also backed with a lifetime warranty. -Luke
  2. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I use the Monster Bass(a 21' to my amp, 2 21's to my pedalboard in the effects loop, and connecting my preamp to my BBE processor to my x-over to my QSC power amp). My whole signal chain. Me likey.
  3. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    I will tell you from my recent experience with cables.
    My old cable was starting to short out a bit so I went out to check out the Monster Cables from Pro Link. I was really Impressed with the input signal to my head and the tone was much stronger.
    I used to play at practice with my input at 7 and my output at 1.5 ... Now to achieve the same sound level I dont have to push my output over 1 for the same loudness. The tone... again totally impressed, it sounds almost like I'm using a chourus.
    plus they offer a life time guarentee.
    A must add to your bass rig
  4. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    In my limited exposure to Monster Cables, I have not found them to be worth the money. Given my experience with one that went crackly on me, and other people's reports of brand-new Monsters being DOA, I'll pass, thank you.

A good quality cable doesn't have to be expensive. Check out George L's.

Tone is a personal, subjective choice, so I won't go into that.
  5. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002

Check out this link if you want the best Possible connection to your bass rig. Think about it, in the next 10 years you will spend at least $100.00 on replacing those thin 4ss cords they try to call a cable. Pro Link performance 500's have a life time replacement guarantee. So when mine craps out or get's cut in half or what ever could go wrong with a cable, they will give me a new one... hmmmm let me think about that a bit.....
    No, I think I will stick with Pro Link cables.
    I suggest you all check em out
    Cheers :D
  6. why not try planetwaves....
    sure they have molded plugs but still i love the tone i get from mine!! and thats from a passive to a Crate BX15 practice amp or a Peavey Mark 7 head to a peavey 4x10(dis is some old shiznit im tellin ya)
  7. I've used Spectraflex, DiMarzio, Planet Waves and Rapco's higher end "Road Hogs", in various lengths and also as patch cables in my rack. I find no discernable difference between any of these, although they are all more rugged and sound much better than cheap cables. The main difference, IMHO, is having a mechanical (instead of soldered) connector join, shielding over the join, and a lower impedance cable (some use multi-core conductors) with minimal capacitance.

:)I prefer the Dimarzio's for my bass connection because of the braided cover, although the colour coding on the PlanetWaves is useful in rack patching.
  8. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've been using Monster cables (instrument and speaker) for years, and I'm very happy with them. Great tone and overall sound.

I have not tried Tara Labs or Planet Waves yet though. I hope to check them out sometime.
  9. snoogin

Jun 15, 2002
    Sioux city Iowa
    Scoff if you must, but I bought a couple of cables from Everly,(of Rocker's fame), which are mogami. Twenty bucks each and they're built to last and sound clean and clear. I can't see spending 40 on a monster cable when this sounds just as good if not better.
  10. i'm interested in starting to use monster cables, but the only ones in my local shop are the 'Rock' and 'Jazz' cables, my teacher uses the 'Jazz' and swears by it. But what is the 'Bass' cable like? would it be better to use the 'Bass' because its specific to the instrument, or is the 'Jazz' cable just as good?

11. I went to buy new cables and did not buy Monster cable due to the price and some comments posted elsewhere on this site.

I bought Horizon Silverflex for 1/3 the cost of Monsters. I took them home and did some test of all the cables I had. DiMarzio and Spectraflex. I noticed a huge differrence in tone high up on the neck on the G string. A difference in muddy vs clear for these high notes. Could not notice the difference down where I usually play (The money part of the bass). Anyway I was so impressed, I bought two more cables and have given all the other cables to my two sons.
  12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, this is just my $0.02, but ...

Logically, the idea of genre-specific or instrument-specific cables just has to be utter and complete nonsense IMHO. What a cable is supposed to do is pass a signal transparently, so what comes out is as close as possible to what went in. It's not supposed to change anything; to the extent that it does change anything, it's a failure. All cables are failures in a sense; the better ones fail less.

Now suppose you plug into two cables, a Rock and a Jazz cable. Suppose further that they sound different. (If they don't, that kind of invalidates the concept from the get-go.) What does this mean? That at least one, and possibly both of them are wrong--i.e., failures in the sense mentioned above. If they sound different, they can't both be completely accurate representations of the signal that went in. Either one is accurate and the other is less so, or they're both inaccurate (either equally or to different degrees).

What it comes down to is that the less a cable changes the sound that goes into it, the better it's doing its job. Accuracy is accuracy; it's not one thing in jazz and another thing in rock. Either the signal that goes into the amp is the same as the one that came out of the instrument, or it's not.

I'm not saying that different cables don't sound different, or that some aren't better and more accurate than others. I'm just saying that the idea that standards for a cable's accuracy should vary according to musical genre or instrument strike me as preposterous.

Sorry, rant over ... I just think this is the biggest bunch of marketing BS ....
  13. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii

you made a very good point.
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    In the last ten years I haven't come close to spending $100 on instrument cables. I still have a Whirlwind cord that has been flawless. I bought an Ernie Ball a couple of years ago because it had a 90 degree end. Both cables work, don't make extraneous noise and didn't cost very much.

Paying in advance for a cable failure just seems silly to me. I'd rather pay for cables that don't act like drama queens. BTW my Whirlwind has a lifetime warrantee, I don't recall if the EB does. As far as cutting a cable... I'm not that "active" that that would be an issue, though I have accidentally yanked mine out of amps and basses many times.

I have lots of acquaintances who've had issues with the higher dollar cables. If I saw or heard a benefit (for me) I'd use them. So far I haven't.
  15. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    Once again it's all about what you like and what you do with what you have. :D

We all have our personal preferances and I'm just stating mine. I truly think that the Monster Cable's Pro Link Preformance 500's are the best. Once again thats my opinion. :D
  16. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    i use the monster standard 100 series cables & prefer them over the Fender California cables. I know this isn't much since you guys are talkin about the higher cost ones but for me the 100s are great & more affordable. thats all
  17. I really don't care what other peoples opinions are, but for me it's Monster Performer 500 Bass cable for me.

The life time warranty and the great Monster Cable Customer Service makes it worth the price of admission.
  18. I have Monster cables...and I love em to death, my signal is sooooooooo sweet sounding...P-bass-monster-ampeg BSP-monster-Ampeg power amp-monster-ampeg pro 2x10 cab...I love it....:D
  19. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    My Monster Performer 500 Bass cable just crapped out on me; had it about a year. I have a Horizon cable that I have had much, much longer with no problems.
  20. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I played a gig with 4 other bands one night and the 2nd bands guitar player was using a 21 ft Monster Pro-500 cable that was crapping out on him.
    I watched him chuck it in the trash.
    After the gig I dug it out of the trash and brought it to a local dealer and got a brandy new one free of charge, Since then I bought two more!
    With a warrenty like that I figured what the hey.
    I have been using them for 6 months without a problem. I like them.
    But I'll use anything I have Spectraflex cables,
    Sir-tweed cables horizon cables and they all sound and work flawlessly.