monster cables

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ablinow, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Yes they are

63 vote(s)
  2. Nope

79 vote(s)
  1. ablinow

Apr 15, 2000
    Norton, MA
    do you think that monster cables are worth the cash, and will they reduce noise/feedback.
  2. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I switched over to monster 100 cables [the least expensive monsters] from Fender California cables and i can safely say i like the monsters better. The sound just seems better w/em. I think some people have said more about this. try searching the forums.
  3. Ditto.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I just got a performer 500 Bass from Bass Central. The sound difference is little (I a/bed for about 5 minutes to tell), but what made me go Monster is the unlimited warentee. Any dealer, any time, no questions, no receipt. Just say "It don't work" and get a new one.

Works for me.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I can't tell the difference between the sound of Monster cables from any other cable. But I use 'em, just in case. That's the same reason a lot of people believe in Jesus, so it's good enough for me. To me, durability is a much greater issue than sound when it comes to cables.
  6. I've had quite a few of their bass cables fall apart on me. I would just return them and get a new one until after a while I got sick of it. I switched to the monster jazz cables and haven't had one die yet. They are a bit more sturdy.
    The clarity is there, I think they are worth it.

7. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i heard they chew up your input jacks sumthing mean, and thats sumthing the monster cable warenty wont cover. My friend used to get them for free cuz his dad owned a large audio store. I never could really tell a difference, but whatever makes u sleep better at night
  8. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    I remember that input jack story from a ken smith basses thread, don't let that one example ruin monster's reputation in your head.
  9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    i don't think they're worth the prices I see on them. But they probably have the slickest, cleverest marketing in the business.
  10. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I have tried Monster cables but they really didn't do it for me. I like and use Mogami 20 gauge cable.
    As has been pointed out, you should avoid all that cable voodoo & black magic!

These guys are great to deal with and reasonably priced:
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nothing is worth the price of admission. That's why we pay it.
  12. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    Same here... The preformer 500's are really nice. I noticed a diferance right away, and I wasn't expecting any change in tone. But it was so much nicer my guitar player could also tell the dif between the two cables.
  13. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    hi...i've never used monster cables. do they actually improve sound from amp to cab? I have a mesa 400+ going into an ampeg 6x10 HLF.

if you use monsters - do you also use them in your signal chain between all your pedals?

while we're at it - how's about between bass and amp? I do have some instrument cables made by monster but only because of the lifetime warranty.

please vote and let me know your monster experiences...thanks!

14. They're junk.

Yes they sound good... maybe even very good.

They have a design problem that won't allow them to take the abuse of even mild stage use. After a short period of time they begin to pop do to failure near the cable ends.

...and yes, I know they're guaranteed for life. That still doesn't help you at the moment of failure.
  15. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have a few, They do sound good NEW! they do tangle up and are stiff as a board. I have already brought back my 21 footer 3 times for the crackeling and popping. :mad:

When I replace them I will go with George L's
  16. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I use their instrument cables and have gigged with them quite a bit. I never A/B'd them with anything else to see if they actually sound better, but I will tell you that the guitar players in my band -- who use regular cables -- always have trouble with them crapping out and I have yet to have that problem with a Monster.

That having been said, I'm not partial to Monster per se, but I won't buy cheap cables anymore. I'll probably look into Planet Waves or some other less expensive, high-end cables in the future. But for the past year+ the Monsters have been working great for me.

17. I've used a few over the years and I used 14 ga household lamp cord that I install my own connectors. I couldn't hear any difference and they seemed to last about as long. ( Do electrons really know the difference? Do they even care? )
  18. I have a 21' Monster Bass 500 cable and don't care for it much. It's a nice cable but is just too stiff for me. I use .225" George L cables between bass and amp and have been real happy with them.

Between amp and cabinets I usually use 12 gauge zip cord. I'll buy high-quality bass-amp cables because the signal to the amp is measured in millivolts and bad signal there goes through at least a couple of gain stages, but for speaker connections I prefer plain old 12-gauge zip cord and banana plugs.

That said, my new amp has speakons only and they're a good second choice - right now I'm using some premade 14 gauge cables.

The only thing I don't like about speakons is that if someone trips over a speaker cable I'd prefer it came loose instead of dragging my amp off the speaker cabinet. Both banana plugs and speakons can be disconnected under power without damaging your amp but 1/4" plugs can't without causing a dead short as the plug comes out of the speaker cabinet.

But - jerking a speaker cable out of your amp - or cabinet - isn't real easy on speakers no matter what the connection is.

Speaker connections are fairly high-power connections and I don't believe designer cables make a difference on that end. It's not possible to draw more power out of the amp than the power cord will provide and I don't see anyone using oxygen-free power cables on their amp :)

The dumbest thing I think I've seen is an 8 gauge cable going into a 1/4" jack - the contact area on a 1/4" jack positively sucks. Have a look at this -

My unsolicited opinion for speaker cables? 12 gauge cable (preferably round cable but zip cord will work fine) and either banana plugs (preferred) or speakons.
  19. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I read this study somewhere: Researchers tested zip cord versus monster cable. When music was played through zip cord, the listeners thought it sounded ok, but when music was played through "monster cable," the listeners went on to describe how "full, rich, and bassy" the sound was with monster cable.

What the listeners didn't know was....the researchers used the same zip cord for both tests :D

I say, save your money, and buy a clue :rolleyes:
  20. Re: the contact area of 1/4" plugs... Agreed!!! They rely on one piece of nickel plated steel to touch another piece of nickel-plated steel with a contact patch of maybe .005" to .010". :meh:

I'll second the preference for for banana / speakons, zip / round on speakers. :cool: