Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Monster Magnet - Tab...25

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Anyone have this? I think this is truely an overlooked spacerock masterpiece. I remeber reading somewhere that this was a collection of the songs that were "too weird/too long/too trippy" for their "Spine of God" album.

Tab is about a half hour of hawkwind influenced mayhem, with all these insane ambient effects. Sounds like drugs if ya ask me. ;)

Another album highlight (huh huh... high), the accoustic number "Long hair." Very bass driven, a great vibe. This album also includes a early version of "Tractor" which later appears (produced better) on the Powertrip album.

2. I might have to check this out. Especially after having a listen to Hawkwind after seeing you mention it somewhere.

I always thought Monster Magnet were like a commercial rock band. I only remember one song where the film clip was in like vegas or something. Actually, i was about 12 so theyre probably not very commercial since i dont see them on TV, or heard anything of them till now.

Peace

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Monster Magnet do go for the "rock star" thing... but they jokingly do it. Their more modern stuff is total in your face rock type stuff... their first 3-4 albums were very hawkwind influenced space rock. They even cover "Brainstorm." I like both styles of MM, but I prefer the early stuff. But when I want a nice 70s kickback style rock, they fit the bill with their more recent albums.

4. I love stoner metal, and I love Hawkwind. I'll definitely check it out.

5. i've heard this a few times as my friend had it. we used to joke that is sounds like they strummed a few chords, set their guitars leaning up against their amps, went to do some more drugs, came back a little later and played a few more chords, leaned guitars against amps again....etc etc etc., rinse. repeat.... that being said, I TOTALLY DIG IT!

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The feedback sounds are weird spacey samplers though... poor bass player played pretty much the same thing the whole time. ;)

What the hell is the "story" Dave is telling during the middle?

7. I like Monster Magnet, but sometimes Dave W. can get on my nerves. Sometimes....

He doesn't cover a whole lot of lyrical ground , every song is addressing someone about their little sister:D

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    But that's the God Says No album... and the Powertrip album.

I think Dopes to Infinity have the best "stoner" lyrics ever. They are clever, but very druggy... which usually don't go together. Around the Powertrip album, they tightened up their sound, lost their ambient feel and went more for the rock thing. My Monster Magnet ratings go as follows

- Spine of God *****
    - Superjudge ***
    - Tab...25 ****
    - Dopes to Infinity *****
    - Powertrip ***
    - God Says No ***
    - Monolithic Baby **... and a half

The five stars don't really make it a perfect album, but they are the best MM albums.