Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

monster marshall

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cliff 'Em All, Aug 12, 2003.

1. i was recently checking out amps online, when i stumbled across the vba 400. I immediately knew i had to have it. its 400watts all tube bass amp, with a 3 band e.q., gain, volume, and master volume controls(so as not to ruin the rawness of the beast).

i was wondering if anyone has tried out, or owned one of these amps. if so, please tell me what you thought/think of it, how it sounds, and what kind of cab it would go well with.

BOOOOOOOMM!!!!

Marshall!!

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    it stinks, it stinks, it stinks, it stinks, it stinks, it stinks

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Wanna put some evidence into that quote ;)

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Check where the fuse holder is. The one and only Marshall I ever played had the fuse holder inside the amp and in such a position that when the fuse blew, it too out a bunch of surrounding components. A $3 fuse caused $100 damage. I asked the guy who fixed it what caused it and what I should do to prevent it happening again. He just shrugged his shoulders and pointed at the Marshall badge, said it will happen again no matter what I do.

5. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Well, I dunno... If you go buy there pricing system it should really suck hard (To buy at least)...
    A crapp Mar**all guitar amp costs at LEAST, new 500. A good one could be from 1000 to 4000.
    And this is a bass amp, which are more expensive, and around 4 times the wattage...
    I'd rather make one myself man...

:rolleyes:

lol:oops:

6. Braksvenne

Braksvenne

Aug 13, 2003
    Sweden
    I've had my VBA400 for 9 months now. I like it a lot. It doesn't offer too much tone variation, though. Simple passive EQ. Not a problem if you like the sound. The amp is very powerful. I've never turned the master past 12 o'clock.

The sound is on the bassy side. Fatter than an Apmpeg SVT but less midrange grind. I use mine with a Hartke 4x10 and a noname 1x15. Two 4x10 would be better. Have not tried the Marshall cabs.

FYI I play rock with a stingray.

Regards //Braksvenne

7. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    If you want tubes and power go with a Mesa 400+.

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    obselex i dont know where your getting this pricing from. I have a couple marshall guitar amps and i mean an original plexi head will run you around 3 grand. Thats pretty much the most expensive marhsall head you can get. The new mod 4 one or whatever is about 2 grand so maybe they arent as expensive as you thought. To agree though i havent heard good things about their bass amps. Lemmy plays one though i beleive. If you like the motorhead tone then check it out.

9. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I thought Lemmy ran through Marshall guitar heads into modded 4 by 12's. Dusty Hill from ZZtop does the same thing, going through JCM900's into custom 412's.

Hmm..... makes me think I should hook up my wife's JCM900 to my Aggie....

10. Greg R

Greg R

Mar 11, 2003
    Avonmore, ON
    Lemmy does indeed use JCM's, not VBA's. I think John Entwistle used to use a Marshall guitar stack for his mids and highs. It surprises me to see how many guitar amps out there work well with bass. I put my bass through a buddy's 80W Randall 212 combo and it sounded great, no farts, distortion or drop-out.

11. I sometimes play through a guitar amp as well, an old Acoustic combo. Great 70's tone. Very cutting. No low end, though, but works very well for loud rock especially if the drummer's right foot is heavy.

12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I played it at a local guitar store, they have the VBA 400W head, and the marshall 8x10. i just wasn't impressed by the tone. it reminded me of a large practice amp (not volume wise, tone wise) it just seemed very very limited, like it could only variate around one sound.

13. don't hold back, tell us how you feel about it !

14. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    ok, i don't exactly remember the tone, but i remember me not enjoying it at all. like i said earlier, it doesn't have a variation in tone that much. IMO its just not that great of an amp. Its a good try, but just not very good in my opinion, but once again, its just my opinion. you could think differently.

15. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    uh guys... according to the man himself:

"L: I've got 2 stacks on stage both house 4 x15's & 4x12's and on top of that I've got 2 Marshall's JNP Super Bass tube 100 watt amps."

clipped from an interview at http://www.mf-b.ru/articles/m_press21-eng.htm

Marshall also touts the fact Lemmy uses Super Bass heads, but they say he uses 4. Probably on a different tour or time period. I've read other interviews where Lemmy says he doesn't use distortion, so I'd assume all the grit is from the Super Bass.

I'm still curious how the VBA400 sound compares to Lemmy's Super Bass sound.

16. Braksvenne

Braksvenne

Aug 13, 2003
    Sweden
    Metal mitch, I've never tried a Super Bass (other than on my Bass POD).

But copmared to the Lemmy sound (on recordings), the VBA400 is bassier and cleaner. If you crank the gain it distorts pretty good though. The distortion is more Lemmy-like than for example an Ampeg SVT.

Regards/Braksvenne

17. sub forum

sub forum

Jan 2, 2004
    glasgow
    i have been gigging with a vba 400 for 3years i wasn't bowled over with the tone so i changed the preamp valves to jj tesla's and that made a miraculous difference,i just think the stock valves are a bit bland.Mine runs through a mesa 1x15 cab and i get enough grunt right through the tonal range to spare . it is the only amp to make me put my 1978 superbass mk2 out to pasture after 13years :cool: