Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Monster spkr cables fatten.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I was on thi runaround trip with GC. I called the manager and he overnighted me my cord.
    He threw in a pair of Monster 500 speaker cables.
    I figured, OK, I'll try em.

These cables brougt my sound to a new level. They seem to help just the right freq.
    They make my other cables sound harsh in comparison.

Old cables = Spare cables.

2. I switched from Monster Bass 500 to .225" George L cables.

Now Monster = spares. Give 'em a try sometime - tone as good or better than Monster and no tools required to fix 'em (well, you need a screwdriver for the straight plugs - angle plugs doon't need any tools to fix). Cost less too.

3. Why would you need to fix them at all?

4. I don't know - I've never had to fix them. I made a bunch of them up when I rewired my rack - and like I said, no tools required.

If you do break one you can put a new end on it in about 30 seconds.

5. I heard that Monster wires shorted out a lot. That's why i stay away from them a bit. My guitarists uses them, it doesn't seem like he's had a problem. It's a gamble i guess.

6. Ah - I got it, Donnie. He said speaker cables and I was talking about instrument cables. My bad.

Oh, well - George L cables are so good I'm leaving the post up there :D

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Better sound through marketing. ;)

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, come tommorrow, I'm going to the owner of some Monster Performer 500s, and if they aren't the best, so let it by, I don't know where I can get some George Ls, but the main reason is the unlimited lifetime warentee. Just bring it in, no receipt needed, just exchange them, no quesions asked. Rather pay 50 for unlimited cables than 300 over the next couple years.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Personally, I like to pay $20 or so to have a couple spares that should last for many years to come. ;)

10. Hey, Brendan -

http://www.georgels.com

The only thing I really didn't like about my Performer 500 bass cable is the thing has a mind of its own - it's just too stiff for me.

If you do try George L, I'd get the .225" cable instead of the .155" stuff - that's just too thin for me.

11. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Are you saying I'm Lying?

I hear what I hear.

I'm not a rappelrouser, and do not get a kick out of starting trouble.

BTW, the cables were comps!
    I paid nodda for them.

I thought my Hosa 12 ga. cables were it. When I switched to the Monster's, Pow! more solid bottom, smoother mids, sweeter highs.

Same amp, bass, room.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, let's just say my live show is not loving of cables.

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    To RockBobby:

No, I'm not saying you're lying, only that you believe in what you think you hear and want to hear, and not necessarily what you actually hear.

Getting more solid bottom, smoother mids, and sweeter highs from a speaker cable is like the post office improving the content of the magazines and letters sent through the mail.

14. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Lies?

Bob didn't accuse anybody of anything. He expressed a personal preference. I also prefer to buy inexpensive (but not cheap) cables. I bought an 18' Fender oxygen-free cable on sale from MF for $10 last week. It sounds like my other cables and has a lifetime warranty.

If someone sent me some comp Monsters, I'm sure I would use them. How can I get an endorsement deal?

15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    You're probably right but I don't have any personal experiences to base that on. The only other cable that I've used is a cheap Fender instrument cable that was included with a bass that I purchased. The monsters definitely sound better than it! :)

I haven't paid more than $25.00 each for any of the Monsters that I have and I've got quite a few. From the Performer 100s to the Studio 1000s in instrument and speker cables. I bought used though and I haven't had any problems. With the "no questions asked" policy I should be covered. ;)