monsters in training

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by john turner, Jan 23, 2009.

1. apologizing for a nice piece of kickass? LAME!

2. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Nowhere in the article does it say that they've been losing like this for four years.

They haven't won a game in four years, a drastically different situation.

3. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    So now we're only going to fund winning HS sports teams :eyebrow:

4. Update: Jackass coach of the 100-0 victors was fired this weekend. It's unknown if it was due to the game itself or some really ill-timed comments in the aftermath.

Much idiocy has been spewed on this subject (as usual, we have our share here) but some basic facts are lost. This team was leading 59-0 at the half. We can all assume that the staff and team knew this one was in the bag at that point. Humans should know what to do at halftime. During the 2nd half, milk the shot clock down to 5 seconds, take your shot, play defense, repeat until 0:00.

This bunch was running a very aggressive full court press through a large portion of the 4th quarter. All of this was by design. The OP had it right. But there is a silver lining: The karma of the universe virtually guarantees that all those on the wrong side of this score will get to know exactly what it feels like to lose like this.

Or maybe I have to believe that to stay sane.:meh:

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    As far as "the OP had it right" I'd only point out that IMO and IME the blame for something like this falls squarely on the coach and not the players.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm glad that coach got canned.

7. I agree that the bulk of the blame belongs to the coach, but the fact that this was wrong HAD to occur to the players. I mean, it should occur to most mammals.........

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    This is hilarious. I found this footage of the winning coach.
    I Feel Great.

9. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Sure, but it's up to the coach to pull the starters, stop the full court press and tell the kids to use a little clock each trip up the floor.

Creepy. That guy looks like a slightly older version of a cokehead I used to know, right down to the constipated facial expressions.

10. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    This makes me sick that people are making a big deal about this. I'm sure the girls on the losing team don't want this kind of recognition. Besides, they didn't have physical disabilities preventing them from playing the game. I would have rather just lost 100-0 because we are no good at basketball than having people blame it on my mental disabilities. Nobody wants anyone to feel sorry for them because of disabilities.

11. Dude, the story isn't the losing team. It's what the winning team did that make it a story.

12. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    And the women on the Rutgers team didn't want the recognition from Don Imus calling them "nappy headed hos" either. Obviously different in that these girls could have avoided notoriety had they just managed to score a basket or two, but similar in that it also could have been avoided if the person who created the circumstances had shown a little class.

100-0 doesn't seem like much of a coincidence. Anyone think it was? Or do you think (like I do) that their coach was pushing for them to hit triple digits while shutting the other team out. 100-0 isn't nearly the story that 92-6 is even though it's nearly the same in terms of a crushing defeat.

13. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    They were just talking about this on Sports Center and they were talking like it wouldn't have been a big deal if they hadn't had mental disabilities. They were acting like the winning team were better than them and they shouldn't be playing against them because of their challenges.

EDIT : I guess my point is why are they playing powerhouse teams like that if they only have 20 girls in their school and only 8 on the team? You are pretty much waiting for something like this too happen.

14. Call me naive, but yes I do think it's POSSIBLE that 100-0 was a coincidence. The only reason that the game became such a hot news item was because the 100-0 box score caught the eye of a sportswriter and prompted him to write a feature story, after the fact. I'm sure that there are games like this every week around the country that don't have such nice round numbers in the score, so they just don't receive any press attention. Is the winner of a 104-5 game equally evil in the eyes of the country?

The coach claims that they didn't intentionally run up the score and that the girls played with honor and respect. And the Dallas Morning News mentions that the team didn't manage to score any points in the last 4 minutes of the game. If they were running up the score for 3.5 quarters, would they really completely stop doing that for the last 4 minutes? I tend to doubt it. We don't know these people. Perhaps these really are good kids and a good coach who just happened to end up with a 100-0 final score, and thus got caught in a media firestorm. Yes, it's possible. I wasn't there, but the more I read about this story, the more I'm willing to extend some benefit of the doubt.

15. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    That could certainly be true. Perhaps the coach wasn't trying to run up the score. I can only go by the little I've read, which all seems to paint the winning team/coach in a bad light.

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I guess winning is the new fail and losing is the new win.

17. Excuse me, let me try again:

It just seems like you're going to repeatedly kick yourself in the balls year after year if the team is so terrible they can't score one basket in a game. OTOH, I wonder what their music dept looks like? :bassist::bassist::bassist:

Yeah....***?

18. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    If that is the case, that kind of behaviour is not welcome along Turks.
    Just a month ago there was a case like this,everyone flamed the winning side.It is the cheapest,lowest kind of masturbation.

If my coach told me to press on the fellas like that,I'd be pressing on him instead.I hate,disgust people without sense of emphaty.:scowl:

19. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    Nope. Winning is still winning. Humiliating a clearly overmatched opponent in a high school sporting event just to appease your own ego is a fail.

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Do you think that a team humiliating a clearly overmatched opponent in a sporting event would be okay if it wasn't in high school?

When I was in high school and played football (Australia Rules, the one with tackling but without all the padding), we had games when we were beaten by far better opponents with equivalent scorelines. I would have been insulted if the other team "eased off" of sought a forfeit simply because we wern't up to their standard, you play sport to the best of your ability and to win.

I honestly can't believe how much media attention this is getting. Was the coach of the winning team being a bit of a douche? Sure, but there are lots of douches in this world and news articles arn't written about all of them.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021