monsters in training

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by john turner, Jan 23, 2009.

1. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    Yes. I think it is an entirely different story for professional sports. In that case you are dealing with adult professionals.

Most HS athletes never play at the collegiate level and have zero chance of going pro. As such, HS sports serve mainly to teach sportsmanship and fair play to our youth. While the girls who were soundly trounced may have learned a life lesson, I dare say that the behavior displayed in the game was antithetical to the spirit of HS athletics.

Mark, I'm sorry you team sucked but it's time to drop the chip from your shoulder. There is a difference between not rolling over and running up the score.

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Perhaps culturally its different, but my High School (and the others we competed with in all sports) took sports very seriously. That's not to say that sportsmanship wasn't reinforced, but being a bad sport is all this situation boils down to. Going easy on the basis of an inferoir team is also bad sportsmanship IMO (unless it was agreed between the coaches beforehand).

We didn't, but there were better teams out there. That's life and sports are, after all, just games. Most of us get over it rather quickly. Its a telling that you equate realising that with there being a chip on my shoulder. Perhaps there is something you need to unburden from your own?

So what would have been an acceptable margin against a team that scorred nil, IYO?

3. PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    "I got trounced when I was a kid, so they should too" Seems to be a common argument from those who appear to wish that today’s youth suffer the same ignominy that they were once forced to endure. This is not to say that there is not something to be learned from the experience but life will present plenty such opportunities. As a high school athlete (swimmer) I enjoyed victory (more often than not) and defeat. I would occasionally find myself in direct competition with Olympians past, present, and future who would blow me out of the water. However, I realized that they were not really competing against me but rather the clock. Whom were the girls of the winning team competing against? What was to be gained for the victors or their coach by running up the score?

IME the score itself is less relevant than the way in which it was achieved. 100 points don't just magically appear. Scoring that much requires effort and a conscious decision to do so. The coach and team employed aggressive tactics and left the starters in until a score of 100-0 was reached and then backed off. It was self-aggrandizing and mean-spirited. Sure, this game has gotten more attention due to the tidy box score but it's not this game in particular that should raise ire, but the practice in general.

4. PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    Once again, the learning problems in question have zero impact on athletic performance.

No, life is not going to give them a break but this is a lesson that will be learned in time, over and over again. The appropriate lessons for such a venue are how to comport one's self with dignity and respect for others whether winning or losing.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't agree with that. high school kids, especially privledged high school kids going to a school that prides itself on teaching the concepts of morality, honor and ethics, should have known better, even when someone in in authority (their coach) apparently doesn't.

the reason why i titled the thread "monsters in training" was specifically that - that despite the education these girls are supposedly getting, once the chance to act in a dishonorable way comes up, they show their true nature.

frankly, this was a perfect opportunity for these kids to show that they are, in fact, given a better ethical foundation than those in other schools, but instead, they showed that the opposite is true.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Wow, assume much? Actually, no need to answer, i've read your posts in this thread! ;)

That's not what I said nor is it readily implied from my post. Perhaps you are projecting? My point was fairly simple - as a player I expect every other player to get on the field and play to win with the best of their ability. Whether I'm on the winning team or not, doing you best is what counts. In my opinion, there is no joy in "surviving" against an opponent whose going easy on you. I'd rather be beaten by an opponent giving their all in the knowledge that I tried my best.

So how should they have played the game against an opponent who has never won a game in 4 years?

FWIW, if you acknowledge that this school is somehow deserving of special treatment because of their circumstances (and im not really sure I d), then at least some of the "ire" of posters should be directed at the administrators of the school who choose to put their team in a league where they clearly are unable to compete. Maybe they should look for a more appropriate league for their students.

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah but you weren't mentally challenged. I mean you might have rode the short bus to school, wore a helmet when walking around the mall, and produced excessive saliva, but other than that tick, random outbursts of "I killed myself GOOOD!!!!", and those nagging voices telling you to dress your little dog in a tutu you were perfectly fine. So giving you a good stomping, so you can be an overachieving internet tough guy posting your snobby "I drink wine" knowitall snobbery was not only good for you, but good for the benefit of everyone reading your posts. Yeah I can assure you, we're all very grateful for that stomping you got in high school. :atoz:

:p:ninja::bag:

8. PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    It's not an inference. You said that you got trounced. Did I misinterpret?

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Do you really want to go there? :rolleyes:

The highlighted bit is the inference, as is the second sentence. So, to answer you question; did you misinterpret? No, but I never said you did (that's a straw man of your own creation). Did you draw an incorrect inference? Yes.

10. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    [​IMG]

11. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Either way it's the coach's fault IMO. As I said, I witnessed something similar at my old school where the varsity girls would have their starters in and still be pressing and trapping with a 50 point lead in the 4th quarter.

If their coach was telling them to play smothering defense and execute the offense then they did it. If they thought it was wrong and acted in defiance of their coach, they would be running laps in practice or jeopardizing their playing time for the future which the vast majority of kids would not be willing to do. I find it hard to hold kids accountable for NOT standing up to their coach.

And if the circumstance was that the kids either didn't know what they were doing was wrong, or worse yet knew it was but did it anyway then it is STILL the coach's responsibility as the adult (and theoretically the person teaching them respect and sportsmanship) to rein them in.

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Haha, well for what its worth, I guess PSPookie is getting first hand experience at how the Dallas Academy girls felt. However, they seem to be a little bit more graceful about it! :D :bag:

The irony about this whole topic is that you can't win. Someone will post a story in OT about how sports teams don't have winner or losers or how everyone gets a prize and people get their back up because its coddling kids and not preparing them for the reality of life. I remember a story on a radio show about a young pitcher in a baseball team who was removed from the team because he was too good and could basically strike out every batter who came up against him. The school team got complaints for being unfair to the pitcher. On the other hand apparently if you don't "coddle' the kids somewhat, you get in trouble as well as this thread shows. The only real winner here is those who like to whinge! :)

13. PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    Bah! What's a Brit know about winning anyway? I mean, from this side of the pond you're nearly French :p:ninja::bag:

14. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    You know, the way I look at it is like this - common sense rules supreme. You cannot make a plan, a contingency, a rule, a whatever to use in this sort of situation. It all depends on each individual situation. The coaches just need to use a little bit of common sense and at the very least set a good example for the kids. If that means forfeiting the game, fine, if that means leave it as is, fine. I've even seen it where coaches have taken a player or two from the other team and had them switch sides - whatever. In the end it's all about using one's common sense to do what works best for the situation.
    I know I know - "common sense 'aint so common"

15. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Even worse, he's Australian. **shudder**

16. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    That's not the way to insult Mark. He's not even British.

Really if you want to get nasty, all you have to do is make disparaging remarks about Paul Hogan. That man is a national treasure over there. . .

17. PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    Commonunist

18. PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    Ah, the whole London, UK thing threw me off.

No need to make fun of the Aussies. They already have an inferiority complex from being Great Britain's refuse :ninja::p:bag:

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    pssst...

Photo36.jpg

20. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    That's not an improvment.............................

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021