Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Monte Montgomery - best guitarist I've ever seen

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by secretdonkey, May 10, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I don't usually get too excited about guitar pyrotechnics, but after watching Monte Montgomery finish off a show last night with a cover of Fleetwood Mac's 'World Turning,' I've got to say I witnessed the most impressive guitar performance I've ever seen in all of my 35 years. Yes, I've seen many of the rock guitarists people tend to put at the top of their lists, and I can tell you that THIS is the guy who moved here from Mars, and travelled to the crossroads only to be told by the devil that 'there's nothing more I can do for you. By the way, do you give lessons?'

Recordings don't do him justice - go see this guy live if you ever have the opportunity.

Seriously.

:)

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    well is there ANY recording that I can hear that will do him even a vague interpretation of justice?

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    http://www.montemontgomery.com/l_setyoursoul_lo.htm

Here's a live recording. Monte mostly plays an acoustic with a pickup in the soundhole, and the guitarwork in the second half of the song is a reasonable representation, though the magic is largely in some element of tone and dynamics that tape never seems to capture... :)

4. I like "When Will I", a live track that's on his album Mirror. Incredible player.

5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have seen him play live about 5 times. I have 2 of his CDs(Mirror and First and Repair.) You really have to see him live to appreciate him.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Is that one of the guys from South Park singing?

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Heh - I listened to it again and had to chuckle at the thought. Monte's singing and songwriting aren't bad, but neither comes close to matching his geetar work, IMO.

8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

There is a lot of good stuff to cover with Fleetwood Mac, but all of the ones I would have picked would have had Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Jeremy Spencer or Bob Welch, NOT LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM. I do like guys who can really play, and kudos to Montgomery to showing him how it's done.

Where was the venue? Does he have a website with tour dates?

Thanks
    OG

9. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I caught some of his set at the Austin City Limits Festival last year, I had to leave the area he was playing after 2 songs. Each song was roughly 10 minutes, at a minimum. My thoughts on Monte are as follows:

Great guitarist (no one could deny that), but he lacks in the songwriting department. You know you've got problems when people get tired of the song the first time they hear them. It sounds like he writes songs around solos. I can appreciate playing talent, but I need a little more to enjoy an artist.

10. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, that one's on his website, as well: http://www.montemontgomery.com/l_whenwilli_lo.htm

I saw him at Antone's in Beaumont (not connected with the legendary Austin venue of the same name except that they pay them to use the name). Monte's website: http://www.montemontgomery.com

Yeah, I think Monte's real gift is in filling a small-to-medium sized room with mind warping guitar tone and energy. I wish him success in finding some way to package that for wider consumption, but I'd agree that may be something of an uphill battle for him. I don't know if he has it in him to focus all of his raw energy into something that would win him wide respect from serious musicians outside of 'rock' circles, and I don't know if he's ever be able to make any mark as an alt-pop singer/songwriter, either. Time will tell... at the very least, I doubt anyone ever has or ever will be able to make an acoustic guitar sound the way he does.

:)

11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Interesting website ....

Oh no, not that guy again. And in the same paragraph as those other guys ....

* rolls into fetal position and swallows tongue *

Too bad, it doesn't look like he'll be leaving the Hill Country and Tejas anytime soon. Would have liked to check this guy out.

Thanks for the tip.