Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MONTHS of nothing then...YAY! 2 gigs next week!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by addylewis, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Right happy - not done a proper gig since May, then suddenly our singer has got us 2 CONFIRMED gigs for next week! I can't wait...

Which bass should I take? - I've got a modern jazz, a vintage RI jazz, a 5-string Jazz, a Mustang, and a squier P-bass...

I've not gigged the mustang or squier yet...should I give 'em a try or take one I know will get me through??

YAY! YAY! YAY! - we're actually getting a bit of money for the first one too...£50 between the 3 of us. Ok, it doesn't quite pay for the money I WOULD be getting if I was working...but I say sod it - I just wanna DO a gig, theres a possibility they'll have us again which is a plus...should we charge more next time if they like us??

(as you can probably tell...thinking about it I'm a bit HYPER!):bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :p :p :help: :help: :bag: :bag: :cool: :cool: :hyper:

...thats the one...

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

2. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Congratulations! My band has been apathetic about gigs, at best, lately. I'm so happy for you!

Take one of your tried-and-true's, and then bring the 'Stang or the Squire just for grins.

Cherie :)

3. that was the same with me sorta, was with a band with really **** hot musicians, the guitarist had a stint with sting, we rehearsed for like a year, no gigs, called up an ad in the paper an agent putting a band together, well look at the link in my sig, we did 3 gigs 2 weekends ago

4. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    What music are you playing?

5. We're doiing a mixture of covers and originals (20 or so covers and 4-5 originals)

anyway...

6. ...THEY WERE FUN!

The first one was probably the best one...mind you the stage was a 5-foot deep "step" RIGHT BY THE DOOR! Bloody rediculous - the drumkit basically took up the whole stage...we sounded pretty good though!

Now the second one... the singer/other driver of the band put his windscreen through with a micropphone stand, so I had to wait at the place with half the gear whilst our drummer went to get him and the rest of the gear - as soon as he walked out I was asked about plug sockets and the amount of space we needed (no stage, but I claimed about a 3rd of the room which proved more than enough)...we plugged in, didn't really soundcheck or tune up and just played. It was a real bloody mess...well...we didn't play BADLY, but because of where I was and the fact the singer/self-appointed engineer said "we're not DI'ing the bass" I couldn't hear myself at all till the last 2 songs (i've said in the "guitarists who scoop their mids" thread about our problems) when he suddenly plugged it into the P.A. - I COULD HEAR! We then ripped it all to pieces and re-assembled it all in the break...one of the speakers kept dying, we never fully got it sorted... I now had my amp RIGHT BEHIND me, so I could actually hear myself (because of the layout I WAS previously right in front of one of the speakers). The second half was pretty good, I could PROPERLY hear the drums (coz the drummer wasn't 10 feet back behind the PA) and myself...

...there were a couple of surprises in the setlist, songs we've not done for 3 years, songs we DON'T KNOW so we just jam them for as long as we can...(I'm gonna have something to do with the next setlist I think and not let the singer choose songs HE knows but the rest of us have never heard...it looks bad) - we were ok though, a bit of "uh-oh...who did this one?" and "Pssst...what key is it in?" DOES add some life to the gig!

When we'd finished (with the guitarist snapping EVERY string on the guitar by hand at the end of the last song! - well...we changed the setlist a couple times coz he lost the D string after about 5 songs...) we were then invited back next thursday, and apparently an agent was watching who could get us £250 a gig in clubs and stuff within a 20-30 mile radius...my GOD! Something must have gone wron..righ...WHICH?!

7. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    <<<When we'd finished (with the guitarist snapping EVERY string on the guitar by hand at the end of the last song! - well...we changed the setlist a couple times coz he lost the D string after about 5 songs...) we were then invited back next thursday, and apparently an agent was watching who could get us &#163;250 a gig in clubs and stuff within a 20-30 mile radius...my GOD! Something must have gone wron..righ...WHICH?!
    >>>

WHOOOOO-HOOOO!!! {{{hi5's!}}} Nice job, sugar! Congratulations! Sounds like you did well, in spite of scoopin' guitarists and silly singers. I think, sometimes, that venue management likes to see how a band responds to problems. If you can fix them quickly, or ride them out, and not get ruffled, that's points in your favor. Tells them you are reliable and professional. :)

Our gig this weekend got cancelled. We're to have ice on the roads this weekend. No one will show up at this outdoor venue in that kind of weather, and we'd never be able to keep the instruments tuned. I was really looking forward to playing, but I don't guess we need to die trying to get down Hard Hill on ice, eh?

I'm glad you are playing and doing well and having exciting stuff happen!

Cherie :)

8. Flamin' 'eck!

Just spoke to the singer - we've got that return gig on thursday, we've GOT a &#163;250 paying gig on wednesday! (yay!) and we've got another one the week after, first time in for &#163;50...

We'd not done a gig for 9 months then suddenly 5 gigs in 3 weeks! God...mind you, we're actually TRYING to get gigs at the moment so...but 5 in 3 weeks! Thats nearly as many as we've done outside of college in the whole 5 years we've been together! I can now see what people mean by "one job leads to another"...they all saw us at the one we did last night, and to think I was playing my Squier! Gonna use my old faithful MIM jazz 4-banger for the big gig I think (mind you, could they be paying us so much out of pity for us using cheap gear?) :D :D :eek: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

9. Oh man I am happy just looking at those suckers...