Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Montreal Bass Store??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bizzaro, Mar 14, 2002.

1. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I will be in Montreal next Saturday and would like to know where I should go to look at bass equipment. This will be window shopping only, so I am not looking for the best deal but variety and quality. Not fender/peavey if you know what I mean. Not that Peavey and Fender don't make some nice instruments, but you can find them anywhere. Thanks,
    bizz

2. The main three music shops in Montreal are
    1) Steve's-Fender, Peavey,MM, Alembic,Spector(?)

2) Archambault-Fender, Ibanez,F bass, Godin
    3) Italmelodie-Ibanez, G&L, Ken Smith

These stores carry other brands as well but these are the brands they stock in larger numbers. There is also a maker in town called MF. His basses are high end, similar to F basses. Yvon could tell you more about him. Another maker in town is Saki Stevenson. His shop is called Stevenson Guitars and you should call ahead. I've played some of his basses and they are in the Sadowsky/Lull vein. I usually don't shop at any of the music stores in Montreal. I go to Club Bass in Toronto instead Better gear, better service. :)

3. I forgot to mention that I wouldn't recommend Steve's. The staff in the guitar and bass area are a real drag. It isn't set up very well for trying out gear either.

4. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Thanks Randy. I would have thought a place the size of Montreal would have at least one really exceptional place to look at basses. Hey *Brodeur*?? Any Relation to Martin??:eek:

5. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Even though I live in Vancouver, BC now, I'm actually from Montreal.

I agree with the comment about the staff at Steve's Music. Frankly, I always found them either very uninformed, or just plain annoying. I always stop in there whenever I go back east, and strangely the staff is almost exactly the same and has been for uncounted ages.

To their credit, though, they do have a decent selection of gear most of the time. (And, their prices are usually the best in the city.) But it's true that actually trying anything out may be a bit of a problem. Don't pass it by, though. It's still worth a look.

In my opinion, Italmelodie was always the real gem of Montreal music stores. A fairly good selection of gear, pretty unoffensive staff, and a much better atmosphere for trying things out.

Archambault and Steve's are relatively close together, so checking them both out would probably be not much of a problem. Italmelodie is further north in the city, but make a point of going there. If you use the Metro (subway), which is usually the best approach, the trips are much easier and worry-free. The following are the stops for each store:
    Steve's (Place D'Armes, Orange Line)
    Archambault (Berri-de-Montigny, Central Terminus/All Lines)
    Italmelodie (Jean Talon, Orange Line)

Hope any of this helps. And, enjoy your trip!

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Thanks guys, and thanks for the metro info.
    Bizz

7. Yes

8. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Man, he was absolutley incredible at the Olympics. Especially the US/Canadian game. WOW!! So how are you related?

9. It's a VERY distant relation. I can't remember the exact details. I'l have to ask my dad. I've never met him and probably never will. If I had been a bigger hockey fan as a kid that probably would have changed!

10. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Thanks again Bass Boy and Winston. I made it to Archambaults and Steves. I never made it to the other place. Steves was a Zoo. Man don't they have fire codes for buildings in Montreal?? Not only were they extra crowded, Most of the exits were blocked so that even in an emergency you could not exit there. I didn't get to try anything out. Both places were real busy(Saturday PM...!!). And Steves is really hard to move around in. Not very conducive to trying stuff out. Someone should open a Bass store up there.
    Bizz

11. You're right about steve's music. Good stuff, but people out there aren't the best at all. Also, this is not the best place to put a musi store, it's too tight...

12. This is why I shop at Club Bass in Toronto.