Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Montreal Jazz Fest tickets.....Help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by bizzaro, Jun 20, 2004.

1. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    edit:
    I found a pair of tickets.....2ND ROW CENTER........WOW!!!!!!!! :hyper:

I am desperate to get tickets to see Jean Luc Ponty on July 4th in Montreal. The show is sold out!! :crying: :bawl: :crying: :bawl: If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

2. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    You should go anyway, even if you end up not getting tickets. Lots of free concerts, Montreal weather is wonderful in the summer (well, if you live in Texas...summer in Vermont I'm sure is quite nice too), the old city is great to roam around...

3. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I intend to go to the festival anyway. And I also intend to see Jean Luc Ponty. I have dreamed about hearing him perform live for about 30 years :hyper: I just have to find a ticket. Somehow I will!!

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Jean-Luc Ponty is great to see live! I saw him many years ago with his fusion thing...Ralphe Armstrong on bass. I brought a bunch of friends who'd never heard of him, paid for their tickets and everything. They were all just blown away. That guy plays some s**t...

I played with Allan Zavod a few years ago; he played keyboards with Ponty's band back then. He said it was a great experience to play in that band. He also did some time with Zappa and Ponty.

5. It shouldn't be hard to find a ticket. Even for the sold-out shows there are always scalpers with tickets to sell. This years fest should be another great one. Unfortunately us bassist are so busy during the fest with gigs it's hard to go to see concerts. :(

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey Randy. I was going to come up to Montreal this year to check out the festival. I am too busy this year though. Too many gigs(if thats possible) ;)

7. Hi Adrian. How's the scene in Niagara? Where ya playin? I'm trying to get back there for a few days in a month or so. We should hang.

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I'll E-mail ya.

9. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Adrian, Bass Boy, Glad I could hook you two up. Either of you know how I can hook up with tickets??? I really prefer not to contribute to scalpers so if you have info or leads to tickets, (even with scalpers), I would love to hear about it. Marcus,a musician of your caliber must surley have some connections. Playing with guys who used to play with the guy I want to see. THROW ME A BONE

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Wellll, lessee...you're in Vermont, the show's in Montreal, I'm in Maui. Hmm. The geography thing....plus, I haven't been in Montreal in about thirty years.

I don't know if Allan is in touch with Jean-Luc anymore. He's pretty heavily into film and TV scoring these days.

11. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Marcus,
    I didn't notice your local, hardly ever look there as many don't post it. How is Maui. In another life, I am there, playing in a resort band for cash, and in a jazz band with buddies for my head. Is there work in Maui???

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Local?! Not!! I have lots of local kine friends that would laugh at that. My skin's about the color of the background of this page...don't wanna lose my "jazz cred" by being tan. I'm always gonna be a "training brah". I'm just glad that they've accepted me here, 'cuz dis is home, cuz...twenny years already.

Maui is great. Work?...well, I stay busy, and so do a few other guys. I don't have to work a day gig. But that's a hard question to answer. It's not like it used to be, with big convention bands all over the place. It's actually better for me, because I play jazz almost fulltime, as opposed to Mustang Sally in a smelly tux.

I don't do too much work for cash. I get a big stack of 1099's every year. Just like a real grownup ;) .

13. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Marcus,
    That sounds just about perfect,except for the 1099 part. Cash rules. :hyper:

AND I JUST FOUND A PAIR OF TICKETS 2ND ROW CTR

AWESOME!!!!!! :D

14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    What...you couldn't find some seats a little closer? :eek:

15. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Yea, it's quite unbelievable. From no tickets to a sold out show........to 2ND ROW CENTER. And I have tickets to Bela Fleck in one of those cute little side balcony's. My significant other knows I have tickets to both shows but I am keeping the seats a surprise. I cant't wait to see her reaction to just how great both seats are. I am beside myself!!!! Apparently people or corporations reserve tickets or something and let them go when they don't need them all. At any rate I got on the phone at the right time. I probably couldn't have scored these seats in the first hour of opening day of ticket sales!!!!!!!!! Talk about luck!! :hyper: