1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Montreal

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BananaKing, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Hey everyone.

So..... I'm seriously considering moving to Montreal in a few years, after I've finished up with school here. Since I already live in Canada, and I've visited Montreal quite a few times, I know what to expect on some level. However, It's quite different to live there.

I was just wondering if anyone who has lived there or lives there now can give me an Idea of what it's like to live there full time. How is the music scene? Arts scene? Transit? How are the people like to non-native french speakers?

I'll have no problem picking up some french before I go (And I can make sure to pick up the right kind of french too). I also have the ability to get a part-time job when I get out there quite easily, so that isn't a big issue.

Anyways, does anyone have anything that they can share about this?

Thanks.

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Montreal's a great city. The most European city in North America. Great food. Don't worry about language. Most Montrealers speak English fluently. Non issue.

Your going to miss warm winters, kits beach, the noon horn, the 9pm gun, the sun coming out after three weeks of solid rain, only to remind you that Vancouver is so beautiful.

Montreal's a great town. You'll have fun.

3. peetey

peetey

Mar 9, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Montreal is a very artsy city. The music and art scene here is huge, although I can't compare it to Van. Transit is excellent, you will have no problems getting around. Language is not a problem either, most here speak English but it wouldn't hurt to brush up on your French. What you will appreciate the most is that the cost of living is lot lower over here. You will eat and sleep like a king compared to Van. or TO.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yeah, but dont Montrealers get snow 6 months of the year? ;)

5. Thanks. I was definitely going to brush up on my french before I went, but I figured it wouldn't be a HUGE issue. I looked at the cost of living as one of the top reasons to move there after Uni.

I like cold and Snow, so I don't know how much I'll miss it. I used to live in Ottawa for a few months at a time, so I know mostly what to expect. I've got Family and friends here so I'll have a reason to come back and visit.

Vancouver is beautiful for sure. I'm sure I will miss some things for sure, but I'm thinking that the positives with outweigh the negatives.

:D

6. Socially, some Montreal natives can give you some grief if you can't really get by speaking french. If you speak it poorly, but speak it, you'll be fine. I lived there for a few years and my french was terrible and I faced some rudeness on a daily basis about it. But I made lots of friends and a job and all that stuff. There are people that are born and raised there that can't speak it.

I like buying beer everywhere and anywhere, and if you have a picnic in a public park you can drink there too as long as you're BBQing and such. Public transit is GREAT, the cabs suck.

7. Thanks.

That's what I like to hear :)

8. If you're going to live anywhere in the Montreal area, then let me recommend St.Lambert. A small town on the St.Lawrence River's South Shore with a small-town atmosphere that's a 15-minute ride across Victoria Bridge from Downtown Montreal. A very clean place to live, lots and lots of trees, a huge public park, Seaway Park, with great views of the Montreal skyline, excellent public amenities, very good public transportation, what's not to love? Besides, I've got a vested interest, it's my home town!:D

9. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    Montreal's art scene is huge, but also very trendy and clicy...

Be prepared to pay to play anywhere, unless you are a bif name with a big draw, its basicaly the rule in Montreal.

The driving is like nothing you have ever seen before, so if you drive, get ready for a challenge.

10. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thank you. It sounds good.

I don't drive. I'm interested in public transit for that very reason. Thanks.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020