Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

monty budwig

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by john turner, Dec 18, 2004.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heya folks

i've been listening to a lot of vince guaraldi the past few weeks - the good ole peanuts christmas sound track - and i was impressed by monty budwig's playing. nothing fancy or over the top, but it complimented the music really well, i thought.

anyone know what if anything else mr. budwig has played on?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
  3. I spent years playing with Monty's band-mate the great drummer Colin Bailey. The things these guys did ON the band stand are only rivaled by the things they did off the band stand. They were totally NUTS In a good way of course. Two of my heros.

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks for the info - i knew i could just do a googley goo and find him but i wanted some personal fav suggestions from you guys

5. Check all the stuff with Shelly Manne and his Men.
    Monty and Shelly recorded one with Bill Evans Too.

6. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Actually, Fred Marshall played bass on the majority of the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack. Monty Budwig plays only on "Greensleeves" which is the same song (and arrangement) as "What Child is This". Fred Marshall also solos on a few tracks. I heard "O Tannenbaum" on the radio while out Christmas shopping today and I thought how nice to actually hear a double bass solo on mainstream radio.

- Steve

http://kaybass.home.att.net

7. Where did you get this information? My CD of THE ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK RECORDING OF THE CBS TELEVISION SPECIAL (I'm not shouting, it's just all caps on the cover) credits Monty Budwig on bass.

8. Steve Bassman

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Hmm....My CD also says THE ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK RECORDING OF THE CBS TELEVISION SPECIAL, A CHARLIE BROWN CHIRSTMAS, VINCE GUARALDI TRIO. On Fantasy Records. Right on the back of the CD case it says Vince Guaraldi-piano with Fred Marshall-bass, Jerry Granelli-drums. On #12 only Monty Budwig-bass,Colin Bailey-drums. Are you sure your CD credits only Monty Budwig?

If so, we may have to ask Schroeder. :D Come to think of it, I recall Pigpen playing bass during the "Linus and Lucy" dance sequence. :hyper:

- Steve

9. :D

10. Plain as the nose on my face. There is no mention of Marshall or Granelli, and no recording date. Seems more likely my version has an error of omission than yours having an error of commission. I wonder who could clear this up for sure.

11. I just dropped a note to Colin Bailey, so we should know soon.

12. Cool! :cool:

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my cd too - same setup. no marshall, just budwig.

14. This from Colin Bailey:
    Paulo,
    there is some confusion about that album. Monty and I are on the soundtrack done in 1965, but Vince apparently recorded some of the same tunes in SF with Fred and Jerry later on. I didn't even know an (originally)LP was released until the early 90's. Then a CD later. Some of the tracksare hard to tell who is playing, it's such nondescript stuff. I know it's not Monty and me on Linus and Lucy. The other Charlie Brown stuff from TV shows is definately M and me. All I can say is that some of it is us and some of it is the other two on the Xmas Cd. Wish I could be of more helpful. I would have to listen to it alot to know who is who. So, at least you can give that info to your fellow bassists.
    We hope you are well, and enjoying life. Look forward to seeing you again one of these days.
    Colo.
    PS The back cover of the CD has been changed now, so that the personell is as it was before it said that Monty and me were only on one track.

These guys were a hell of a team. They had one of the very finest trios that was headed by Victor Feldman that i've ever had the pleasure of hearing. I was later lucky enough to play a concert with Vic and Colin.
    In case you didn't know, Monty passed away a few years ago.

15. Thanks, Paul. You are a big part of why this site is such a fantastic resource!

I suppose we could compare cuts on the CD to what's on the video. Presumably the stuff with the kids choir would have been done for the TV show, and therefore with Colin and Monty.

16. Steve Bassman

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Thanks for checking that out for us, Paul. It's great that a question can be posted on this forum and someone like you can go directly to the source for information. It's interesting that the credits have been changed back since I received my copy. Whether it's Fred or Monty, that CD is always playing in my house around the holidays.

- Steve

17. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
  18. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Wasn't it Monty's wife that came up with the aphorism "So many drummers, so little time"?

19. relacey

relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    I stumbled over this old thread while I'm listening to Shelly Manne and his Men Live at the BlackHawk. My son (drummer) and his buddy (electric guitar) are jamming so it's quality time with the headphones. I downloaded all five volumes from emusic and what a treat Monty Budwig is on bass. Great stuff and great bass lines. Highly recommended.

Ron