Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moody/Atmospheric music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Aug 31, 2003.

1. If anyone plays the Final Fantasy games..I'm looking for music like that, music that has atmosphere, also like Newsteds Cunning Stunts doodle.

It doesn't have to be bass per say, just anything that has a mood to it, and not a jazz/pop/funk, either, like an unnamed mood. Or a freaky mood is always good, too.

If anyone can help, thanks. :bassist:

2. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    sigur ros comes to mind. you should also "take a look" at movie soundtracks.

3. I like Nubuo Oematsu's stuff, not much of it on kazaa though.

Thanks for the Sigur suggestion, not my thing though.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Final Fantasy X soundtrack :p

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Allan Holdsworth's stuff feels very moody to me...

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    My band's music might be good for that. www.deadhandsystem.com. Free music.

If you AIM me (basstriaxis) I can send you a brand new song that we got Gregory Peck to do vocals on.:D

7. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    well, it really depends on the mood you want,

dredg does some moody alternative/stuff,
    tool is cool :) ,
    the "batman returns" ost is absolutely great!
    portishead, tricky, massive attack.
    gordian knot.
    steve lawson's stuff.

8. deadweeds

deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    Mogwai is one band that comes to mind...

9. Freaky? Tom Waits.

Check out any of the tunes on Rain Dogs (Singapore, Clap Hands) for a start. It might not be what you're looking for, but atmosphere Tom Waits has in spades.

10. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I would check out some Porcupine Tree.

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Trip-hop/ambient compilation called: Cafe del Mar

there are several volumes of this

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

ENO: "Music for Airports", "On Land", "Apollo", he has a slew of "ambient" recordings he did in the late 70's.

Might not be what you're looking for.

Didn't think so.:D

13. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Although I don't really know the Final Fantasy music, Sigur Ros comes to mind for me as well when I think about mood and atmosphere. Same with the "trip-hop" suggestions -- Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead, Death in Vegas.

Some other possibilities:

Godspeed You Black Emperor -- "Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven" is particularly good.

David Holmes -- Has done some good soundtrack work, including including one of my personal faves "Out of Sight" ... For some more moody/atmospheric stuff, you might want to check out "This Film's Crap, Let's Slash the Seats.")

Tuatara -- Supergroup of sorts with Peter Buck [R.E.M.], Justin Harwood [Luna], Barrett Martin [Screaming Trees] and Skerik [Critters Buggin']. NOT what you'd expect from those influences, though. "Cinematique" would be a good album to start with.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have played the last few FF games and I would describe the music as "cheesy" or in some cases crap and in the worst cases as a Japanese attempt at what they think of as Western emotion, but can't really understand or get!

The Japanese are good at copying and miniaturising most western inventions, mass-producing them at lower prices - but when it comes to music, they throw the baby out with the bathwater!! ;)

15. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK

Man, I'd have never had you down as a console geek Bruce!

I have a PS2 at home, but it rarely gets used any more... only the occaisionaly bout of Tekken for the tea or Tony Hawks when I'm extra bored

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've always liked computer games - especially strategy and role-playing games - but I gave my home computer to my Dad and really don't have room or time-inclination to get a PC that will play the latest games - that seems to require that you be a computer geek - getting the latest cards for sound graphics etc - all that stuff bores me!!

But I liked the idea that you could just buy a PS2 and plug it in your TV and play games - there aren't that many decent role playing games - I liked Baldur's Gate and Kessen II - war games in Ancient China!! ;)

But ther aren't many decent games in this genre and FF has good depth and interesting role-playing elements - but it alos has lot of crappy attempts at personality, which the Japanese invariably seem to get hopelessly wrong - it is all very cheesy including the music.

17. I like the music from FF7 the best, it touches me inside as corny-ass that sounds.

(You've actually played FF? you just blew my mind)

Like the music from the Mako reactor:

18. Possibly the most badass orchestration ever pulled off.

Nubuo Oematsu's One Winged Angel, Sephiroth's theme. Nubuo is da shiet IMO. :bassist:

I also LOVE that orchestra **** that plays in Star Wars: Episode 1 when Darth Maul and uh..Obi (I think) are fighting, and they have that opera stuff going on..wish I knew who wrote that.

I would headbang to this is the tempo was fast enough. Because if the tempo is slow, you only bang your head like..once a second, and you look like you are retarded or have a monkey on your back. :D

Listen: