1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moody Sounds Hjärt Müller Bass Drive: first impressions.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ZombiCrow, Apr 21, 2010.

1. ZombiCrow

ZombiCrow

Jun 15, 2006
    Davenport, IA
    Moody Sounds Kit Page

Hi guys, just wanted to put out my thoughts and feelings on the Hjärt Müller Bass Drive, a kit I recently built and a pedal I've seen mentioned here a few times, but haven't read a great deal about, except that the few people who have them really enjoy them.

As this isn't a builders forum, I'll summarize the build process as pretty easy if you can solder competently, with instructions that were clear and concise with good pictures. The kit comes with everything you need to build the pedal and the parts for a few recommended mods, none of which I've tried yet, so this review is all about the stock pedal so far. :)

So, the sound: This is definitely a Drive pedal, but with the Drive all the way up, it reminds me of a less-dense Big Muff, possibly due to the tone stack (labeled "Klang") being based on the Big Muffs high-pass/low-pass knob. It's very thick, but not in the same way a fuzz compresses things to be thick.

The initial attack of your string seems to get through very well, retaining the punch of notes and articulation of quicker runs that maybe a higher-gain device might compress and level out. Throughout the range of the "Klang" knob, the low end is retained and the notes remain full and pleasing. In the upper ranges of "Klang" I heard a slightly lower-treble-frequency version of what the Tronographic Rusty Box can do, with that exaggeration of pick 'clack' that would probably sound really great subtley smashed by a tube amp. This does NOT sound like a Rusty Box in any other way, however, it is simply similar at one extreme of the Klang range.

I tested the pedal with a passive bass, with both a Dark Star pickup in the P-position, and a Q-Tuner in the MusicMan position, but I'm going to whip out the old '74 P-bass tonight and give it another whirl. I initially played the pedal through a Beta Lead into a Bergantino 610, but tonight I'll roll the whole shebang through my Yorkville 400 and/or 800 into the Bergantino 215, and listen for any subtle low-end loss. Until then, this is just a preliminary observational on the Hjärt Müller Bass Drive, and I'll update after more tests!

PS: It sounds a lot like the YouTube video on the page, surprisingly enough (sometimes YouTube vids are a little misleading).

2. I liked mine but wasn't crazy about the format

isn't this basically a modded RAT clone?

3. ZombiCrow

ZombiCrow

Jun 15, 2006
    Davenport, IA
    It didn't sound like any of the tones I get from my BYOC RAT clone, but then again that's a clone so... The Rat definitely has higher gain to my ears, too.

4. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    excellent review. subscribed.

I too have the rustybox and can appreciate your description.
    Honestly, I love the drive/boost side of that circuit but its a pretty big step up in gain. It would be nice to have something in the middle.... an OD like this perhaps. :D

5. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    It's basically a modified Tubescreamer minus in- and output buffer and with another tonestack (big muff type).
    I built one too and it sounds really nice. :)