1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Moog Bass Revisited

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blue, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    Apparently for those of us old enough to remember the way cool Micro-Moog - & his big sister Mini:

Moog Minitaur Bass Synthesizer | Sound Modules at zZounds

Now this hooks up to a MIDI .. What's available that converts my stringer to a MIDI output? fwiw, I have a very old set of piezo saddles from a 1st generation ZETA .. maybe I could pull them from mothballs ....

??

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Unfortunately triggering MIDI from a bass guitar does not work very well. It can be done, but the waves from the bass strings are so long, and change around so much in each cycle, that it's very difficult for any MIDI brain to track accurately or quickly.

That module is doubtless the bomb, but it needs to be triggered by something without the pitch and delay problems of a bass guitar signal.

3. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Thought this was going to be about the RD Artist.

4. Blue

Blue

Jun 19, 2004
    Central NC
    Is that the same deal with the Moog Freqbox ??

5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Totally different. The Freqbox is just adapting one analog AC signal (your bass guitar output) into another (the voltage control over a parameter of the effect). There is no conversion to digital, no computer processing, etc.

6. Hey, I want to revive this discussion now that it has been out a for a while. As I understand, you can plug a line signal such as bass into the unit to make use of all the filtering. Does it work as well as it should? Also, someone like Alain Caron uses a Roland midi pickup. Would this work with the Minitaur.

kim.

7. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Peavey had a device called the cyber bass that used wired frets similar to the Guitar-Organ that I hope at least one other person will remember.

This would give a player tracking but at the loss of most other reason we carry a large piece of wood around.

8. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    This is very true, but why can't you just take a MIDI feed from a guitar and set the MIDI brain to transpose down an octave?

9. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    I have your back. I lusted for one of those. Was the Spectrum bass module the intended sound source?

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    You can, and that's a fine idea. It just has zilch to do with triggering from a bass.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, the Minitaur is a synthesizer, not a bass synth "effect". At some point, after trying forever to use a bass guitar to make a synth bass sound, many bassists, myself included, go keyboard synth. A MIDI kb would make use of the Minitaur as Moog intended, and sound wonderfully fat and synthy doing it. Using it as a filter for a bass guitar seems a huge waste of all the rest of the features you CANNOT use with a bass guitar.

12. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    After buying a Roland GR77B I think twice before subjecting my back to large cumbersome pieces of gear. And with the Taurus Bass Pedal being reissued and selling for slightly over a grand It unlikely I'll actually get much first hand knowlege with the Cyber Bass. It's incredible seeing what people will go through to make cool sounds. From Beating rocks together to the miles of wire in a Hammond Organ and the accompying Leslie.

Anyone have expirence with the GK3B pickup? Yamaha had one that used light that was sopposed to be better. I know someone here has one in their closet. How about you share a pic or two with a brother.