1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moog Electronics for Gibson RD ARTIST

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by justinkimmel, Feb 25, 2008.

1. justinkimmel

justinkimmel

Feb 25, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Mesa Boogie Amplification
    Just picked up a '77 RD ARTIST for $100!!!! But the moog board is gone. Still sounds great, but I want to restore it with the moog electronics if possible. Is there any place that would sell such a thing? (already checked ebay)

2. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    I don't know if you can buy one anywhere, but if you're keen with electronics or know someone that is, you can build one.

3. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Stupid question (so I apologize in advance) but I often see RD Artists on Ebay & such where the Moog boards have been yanked from them.

What are the other applications for these electronics that would make people remove them from the bass? Other basses?

Just curious...

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's not that the Moog electronics were pulled for use elsewhere; they were pulled because they sounded bad. :) Well, maybe not "bad", but noisy and not to the taste of many bassists. Also the end users were confused by how to use the compression/expansion controls.

5. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
  6. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Ha! I didn't even think about that.

I've always had GAS for an old RD.....

Thanks for the reply & I didn't mean to hijack the thread either.

7. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Good lord, youd have to be more than a little handy with a soldering iron. Plus youd need to be pretty clean in your circuit wiring to get it small enough. Thats one of the more complicated onboard pres ive ever seen.

8. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007

That would be next to impossible to put all that hand made into the cavity.

exbody-1.

9. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
  10. manjonning

manjonning

May 18, 2006
    Minneapolis
    I had a defretted RD with Alembic guts put in it ...sounded awesome ...but a pig!

11. Prostheta

Prostheta

Mar 19, 2010
    Pori, Finland
    I hate doing this - posting the same info in a bunch of related threads - but I am planning on making a repro/retro board for the RD Artist so I might be able to sort you out with a replacement, or at the very least a PCB and parts. Going to post a REQ elsewhere on here because I need to acquire the PCB dimensions and exact outline shape in addition to the positions of the boards mounted components that require exact placement like the trimpot.