1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moog Freq Box

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by soundwavelove, Jul 29, 2007.

1. soundwavelove

soundwavelove

Oct 8, 2005
    Austin
    Anyone got one? Use it on bass? This seems like the best way to control a real synth with a bass. If it works like I'm hoping I might grab a couple for the real multi osc sound.

I'd love to hear some sound clips if anyones got 'em.

2. godspeed68

godspeed68 i'm here for the sound Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    subscribed.

3. Mystic Boo had a fiddle with one. Check some comments he made in the "Tried a Nano Clone (again)" thread

4. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I don't think it works like you're hoping.

5. soundwavelove

soundwavelove

Oct 8, 2005
    Austin

So it doesn't just drive the oscillator at the same frequency that the bass is putting out?

6. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    No, the built in oscillator is MODULATED at the same frequency as the input signal, not played at. The oscillator is set to a frequency by a knob. That frequency is then modulated (like an LFO modulates an oscillator in a synth, except at higher than LFO frequencies) by the frequency of the input signal. The manual can be downloaded from Moog's website and it explains all the theory behind how the box works.

7. soundwavelove

soundwavelove

Oct 8, 2005
    Austin
    So what your saying is that you wouldn't be able to play Jazz with the thing? Or is there a way to set it that modulates it to the same pitch as the input signal? I'm looking mostly to change my sound, not what notes I'm playing.

8. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Basically the thing is going to give you unpredictable harmonics and timbres, kinda like a ring modulator, but not really. So unless you're playing some new progressive jazz or something I would say not. I think you'd be better off with something like an EHX POG or an octave divider, which will give you a synthesized kinda sound.

9. soundwavelove

soundwavelove

Oct 8, 2005
    Austin
    Yeah I'd be all over the Mirco bass synth if it had CV ins and outs

Does the POG own the micro synth? Or are they just a lot different?

I know this is turning off topic but I was thinking a POG + a frequency analyzer would be pretty far out. I just really want to be able to modulate via CV.