1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Moog Mf101 vs Sonuus Wahoo vs Source Audio BEF Pro

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gordonrussell76, Mar 12, 2013.

1. gordonrussell76

gordonrussell76

Sep 7, 2009
    Hi guys

A shoot out between the 3 pedals mentioned above. I have considered the Iron Ether Xerograph, in fact I almost consider it an either or with the Moog in that they are very similar and have no presets.

What am I trying to do. Well I just bought a Zoom B3 thinking I would get a nice fuzz to put in front of it and this would get me near to some nice synth tones.

As it turns out I am blown away with the sounds I can get from it in terms of gated fuzz and synths style things. Some of the effects in there if you start messing about combining them you get some really interesting sounds.

I have been less impressed by the filter sounds so I am now thinking the next pedal is going to be a dedicated filter, to get some nice cutoff freqency sweeps ala Moog.

So I could just get the moog, but I have been quite impressed by the Wahoo as its analog like the moog but has presets which would save me messing about between songs etc. I also like the fact that you can back your patchs up to PC.

I know it does Low Pass sounds, but I can't find any videos of it, can you get it to emulate or get close to the sort of moog sounds I am after with the right octave/fuzzy type sounds going in to drive it.

Finally is the Source AUdio worth checking out for this or as its digital is it just a completely different animal?

The words I am looking for here are wet, squelchy, chunky and crunchy

If that kind of subjectivity is any help at all :)

2. I believe you mean Iron Ether Xerograph.
    I have one of those (the DLX with the envelope), I have had both the Moog and BEF Pro. I think there is way less info on the Wahoo around here, I only know of 2 users (surely there are more), I am interested in that pedal as well.

There is a lot of simalirty between the MF-101 and Iron Ether Xerograph DLX. The main differences are that the MF-101 has a drive control that adds gain to the signal as well as all the CV/Expression capability (AWESOME if you ever planned on getting more MoogerFoogers or other CV controllable pedals, one ex. ENV out the MF-101 could control the Sweep of the Phaser moogerfooger). Some people don't like the bypass of the MF-101 because the gain effects your sound whether the pedal is engaged or not.
    The Xero DLX has a bit wider sweep it seems like, it has a great bypass.
    FYI, digital or not doesn't matter, most people don't know it and are schocked to hear that the Xerograph IS a digital pedal. (the denial that they have a digital pedal on their all analog board :p)
    The Source Audio BEF Pro is a sweet pedal, lots of different options, the filter can be controlled by an LFO (so can the Wahoo, right?). IMO it lacks some of the OOMPH in the low end that the Xero and MF-101 have. I would not describe it as MOOGish. If I had tons of money, room on board, etc. I would still have a BEF Pro, really an excellent pedal.
    That is all that I have.
    I think you should buy the Wahoo and make demo videos!

3. Skrogh

Skrogh

Jan 28, 2010
    Denmark
    Where do you have this information from? I do believe I've seen gut-shots showing LM13700s in it; pointing at an analog filter. I don't really care if it's digital; I'd just be surprised as that is not what I've heard or seen.

I found that playing a bit with the EQ gave me all the OOMPH i wanted, even more; if I'd like.
    That said, the resonance of the BEF Pro is not so nice, when cranked... way too "perfect".

4. The Xerograph has an FV-1 chip, DSP baby.

I played with the backpage a ton on the BEF Pro, I just get didn't the big sound with the BEF Pro, something was just missing. I could use it for very specific stuff and be very happy though.

5. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    Haven't tried the Wahoo yet, but that is going to be my next filter buy whenever I can scrounge up some funds.I owned a BEF-Pro and it just always sounded wrong to my ears. I don't know why, it just never seemed like the right sound on any of the settings. It is a great pedal and I loooooooved the LFO options on it, but I just could never get the sounds in my head out of it. The Xero was much closer tonally, but still not quite right. I hope the wahoo fits better for me.

6. gordonrussell76

gordonrussell76

Sep 7, 2009
    Sorry yes I meant Xerograph, I had also been considering the oxide when I was planning on getting a fuzz. So far though I have been quite impressed with the sounds I can get from the B3 for all kinds of synth/gated fuzz sounds and things in between. So far I have a pretty nice Gated fuzz sound going on, I have an almost perfect 'Deeper Underground' patch and some other interesting things. The only downside is that you have to have 2-3 of the pedals slots all engaged at the same time to get the sounds and I am running out of slots before I have time for filtering. Plus the filtering on the unit is not quite the sounds I am after. Hence I am thinking of a filter now rather than another fuzz.

I don't have anything against digital, it was a lazy description on my part, I was thinking about all the dubstep sounds I have heard coming from that pedal. Don't get me wrong I would love to be able to play with some dubstepy sounds, but I was worried it might be a one trick pony and only be able to do that. I also want to be able to get warm vintage sounding filters.

From what has been said above thats the impression I am getting, that I might need both the BEF and either or the Moog/XE, the BEF for more modern dance orientated filter sounds and the Moog/XE for the bigger warmer vintage sounding filters. Or am I barking up the wrong tree can you make the BEF sound more vintage depending on the fuzz/synth/octave concoction you feed in the front end of it?

Finally the Wahoo might give me all of the above given its flexibility of its editor, or none of it, given that I agree I can't really find any good demo's of it for my intended use. Some great demos of the pedal on its own by that chap with the Rumblefish bass, but I can't find anything where someone has fed it some gnarly octave/fuzz and then filtered that.

I am tempted to get hold of one from a shop here in uk with a good returns policy, see what it can do post a demo and then if its not for me return it, might have to happen after Easter now as I am off on holiday and don't want to run out of time before I have to return it.

I am leaning towards the wahoo as it a) has a built in pedal and b) works with guitar and as I play that as my second instrument and don't currently have a wah pedal it would get more usage than the Moog or XE neccessarily would.

Thanks for your comments guys, if I do get a wahoo I will post something up. Have not done a vid yet on youtube, as have not really felt I had anything anyone would be interested in, still this might do it.

7. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The Xero works REALLY well with guitar IME

8. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Buy the Wahoo. And make it snappy!