1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Moog Minitaur playable for bassguitar?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by simenandreas, Jul 18, 2012.

1. simenandreas

simenandreas

Jan 23, 2011
    I am looking for the perfect synth sound but I can`t play any keyboards. The sound of the Moog little Phatty is a sound I just want. I have tried some synth pedals for bass like the Digitech Bass synth wah and the Boss synth. These pedals just don`t sound right to me. Sounds like someone is farting some serious wet farts. At the moment I`ve got the micro bass synth from EXH, witch have been the best sounding pedal so far. But it just sounds a little bit too angry.
    I have heard the moog minitaur can be played through a bass guitar. If so, is it just as easy as other pedals? Audio in and audio out with a power cable? Or do I have to plug in a midi-keyboard and buy alot of stuff and get a heartattack every gig?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Not as easy as you hoped I am sure, you can probably run your bass through it's filters by plugging in.

3. simenandreas

simenandreas

Jan 23, 2011
    What dose that mean? What do I miss if it just go through the filters? I am not an expert in this theme

4. BassDbler

BassDbler

Feb 16, 2009
    Riverside, CA
    It is certainly doable...
    check out this video from Aen at Dwarfcraft Devices

5. simenandreas

simenandreas

Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah I have seen the video. But like the first comment, I don´t know why he needs the keyboard

6. It's not like playing a synth though. Aen is opening and closing the filter with the expression pedal. The oscillator is turned off, because if it was on, you would hear the note being held on the keyboard, which is what activated the filter.
    If you want to use it this way, you have payed a LOT for a filter. If you planned to play keys through it, then this is a sweet bonus.

7. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    You need a filter and an oscillator......
    Your best bet is moogerfoogers the the Freqbox (or your favorite fuzz) and the LPF would do the trick.

10cc likes this.
  8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You cannot do what you propose. The minitaur is a synthesizer, and can be played (fully) with a keyboard controller. With a bass guitar, you can use the Minitaur as a filter effect only. you'd need to install a MIDI pickup on your bass, and even then, less than stellar results. Just teach yourself keyboards if you want to play synth, OR, settle for "synth effects" with bass guitar.

9. MBlom

MBlom

Dec 23, 2011
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Here's an example of what you can do with a Moogerfooger Freqbox, Lowpass filter and a Phaser.

If you'd like, tell me what kind of sound you're after and what kind of bassline (for example certain songs) and I'll see what I can squeeze out of these three little piggies of mine. I love working with them and it could be fun to play and tweak something on demand. I mean, Herbie Hancock and farting synth bass sound is default mode and I could really use some exercise in trying out other stuff.

Mosfed and 10cc like this.
  10. merula

merula

Nov 7, 2012
    You need an audio to control voltage converter to play the minitaur with your bass:

Interestingly, you can then go midi out from the minitaur to control other devices if you can do the right jiggery pokery.

11. Have you tried that module out? I understand that by itself it doesn't quite work right for bass. From what I know it takes a couple more modules to get the pitch-to-cv to work with bass.

12. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    The clip description says they compressed the g***** signal for sustain then filtered out the highs to improve tracking. I'd be very interested to know if this will work for bass.

13. RoeyHaviv

RoeyHaviv

Apr 1, 2011
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier guitars, Pigtronix Effects
    In theory - you should be able to play it with the Sonuus i2m.
    I was thinking about getting one to control my Arturia Minimoog V plugin.

Tracking is an issue like any audio to midi device.

Here is my buddy (and Monster bassist) Or "Ruleofthump" using the sonuus i2m on bass.

14. jerryfie

jerryfie

Aug 3, 2013
    Endorsing Artist: Godin Guitars
    I am a guitar player (and some bass - Fender Jazz Bass) and I have been using Roland Gr guitar synths for nearly ten years and I've always loved Moog since I used to enjoy my keyboard player's Minimoog in the 70s and I owned Taurus II pedals in the 80s. I wondered if my GR-30's MIDI out could control the Minitaur and how fast it would track using the GR as a controller, well it worked beyond my wildest dreams - it tracks pretty darn fast and of course the huge Moog bass sound is awesome! So maybe you would like to try a GR with a GK-2B or GK-3B pickup to drive your Minitaur?

15. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I used a Roland GK pickup (with a GR-20) for a while. If I recall correctly, that should send midi note data.

16. is there a combination of pedals (maybe moogerfoogers pedal...but not necessarily moog pedals) that could give a similar sound and work well on bass?

17. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    We were talking about this recently in the Breeder thread. The easiest would be to build a small box that sends the 5v signal to open the gate on the Minitaur. If you had that, it would be plug and play. I'll definitely pick one up one day! They look really cool.

The other option would be a series of Moogerfoogers.

18. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Yeah!

19. bacculus

bacculus

Jul 12, 2013
    Well, I know it's years after this post was made...but hell, here's my answer in case anyone out there has same question. With my Roland VB-99 (which has been discontinued) and a GK-3B pickup installed I've been able to midi-out into the Moog Minitaur. The bad news: It tracks horribly! Even after tweaking all the Gk/VB-99 settings. I have better results running midi out into my Nord Lead 2 synth---but tracking still spotty. Only tracks well with slow ¼ notes or simple grooves. Run into trouble when getting funky or playing fast. Still experimenting though....