1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Moog Moogerfooger MF-101 vs. MXR M82 - Envelope Filter Review for Bass Guitar - With Direct Audio!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by silverdroid, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Was trying to decide between the two. Probably the hardest decision I've ever made in picking between two pieces of gear. It's almost 40 minutes long and lots of explanations, but hopefully it's useful for people who want a comparison of these two filter envelopes.

2. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    MOOG pedals are definitely much better than mooh-g pedals.

Alien8 likes this.
  3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    The moog leaves its gain on in bypass mode so you are sending the MXR Sweet sweet moog gain to trigger it. It wouldn't sound anywhere close to that without the Moog before it.

4. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    I think he has the Moog after the MXR so he's getting the sweet drive sound post MXR peaks, which would also make the MXR sound much better than it should.

5. I did a lot more testing after I made this video which included the MXR direct and didn't notice much of a difference. And yes, in this particular video the chain is BASS --> MXR --> MOOG --> AMP / RECORD.

6. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I have trouble believing you couldn't hear a difference with the Moog's gain as high as you have it. It's really is an amazing preamp.

7. Sorry, wasn't 100% accurate before: when I completely unplugged the Moog, I was going into another preamp before the MXR. Not the same character, for sure, especially when you start getting to those slight distortion levels, but wasn't a deal breaker for me.