1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moog pedal question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SanDiegoHarry, Mar 26, 2009.

1. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    So I've tried to make heads / tails out of which of the famous (and spendy) moog pedals does exactly WHAT...

I gather they are more or less the end-all of bass-synth pedals, and since I know what sound I want, I was hoping for advice:

I'd like to be able to emulate, when required, a classic mini-moog bass sound, like that used in so many old funk songs. Which of these pedals (if any!) will get me there?

If not Moog, then what?

thanks

2. None of them are bass synth pedals. Well maybe the bassMurf in a way, but not a traditional bass synth for sure.

None of them will help you get a moog-like sound on bass with the possible exception of the lowpass filter, but you will still have to provide your own octave effect.

Give us an example of the bass sound you want and we can help you get close to the sound you want - but if you REALLY want a moog sound, I suggest getting a Moog synth!

3. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    EHX Bass Micro Synth will get you as close as possible quicker and easier and cheaper than anything else.

4. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    1) okay, good to know about the Moog pedals (I was confused, it seems). And while it sounds great to just get a mini-moog and play those bass lines, I'm trying to be practical here - and I'm a better bassist than I am a keyboardist. Close enough will do the trick, if you follow.

I'm currently using a Digitech BNX3 for the synthy sounds, and it does okay but is a little harsh sounding - hence my investigation.

5. I'd still like an example track so we know what you mean by "moog bass" since a moog can make a huge range of different bass tones.

6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    +1. Plus I found the BMS to be much more user-friendly than any Moog units.

7. I like the BMS but I am afraid the larger old 24V one sounds better and has better controls

8. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    How about "Let's Groove" by EWF.
    or, a differnt tone:

Get down on it by Kook & the gang...

or even "Chameleon" by Herbie.

I'd like something that would fit (more or less) songs like this - I don't want one pedal for one song (I'm trying to think like a working musician here!)

and heck - these might have not be recorded with a Minimoog, but that *is* the synth that did the classic bass sound, yes?

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    While I still like trying to create synthy sounds with my bass and pedals, I recently broke down and bought a Moog synth, which I've found it the only way to really get some of the sounds I want.

But failing that, I agree that the BMS is your best bet for a simple way to get some solid synth sounds. I was impressed with the Octavius Squeezer, but it has a MUCH higher learning curve than the Bass Micro Synth.

10. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    high learning curve = bad

you guys are making a pretty good case for the old BMS...

11. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Personally, I've not found the new one to be any less awesome sounding (I've not owned either, but I've spent quite a bit of time with both). And, IMHO, the improvement over the horrible bypass of the old one is worth any minor differences in tone.

12. Very helpful. I doubt ALL of those tracks use a minimoog - maybe even none of them

but in any case, given this list of examples I would get a BMS.

the squeezer costs way more than the BMS, too.

What kind of moog did you get, BigO?

there are a lot of TBP modded old BMSs out there. I used to have an XO on my board but I found it disappointing compared to the old ones. Also, the sliders are WAY more sensitive and that is a significant problem.

13. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    A Little Phatty.

14. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    If you've got cash to burn, look out for some Moog Taurus pedals:

taurus2.

15. RCCollins and I have to disagree a bit on this subject... I do agree with those who say the BMS will do the best job of getting you there quickly and easily. But while admittedly I haven't gotten to try one myself, I just haven't been that impressed by the clips I've heard of it. I do think the Moog pedals can get you there but it still won't be perfect. Start with a FreqBox to give you that authentic Moog oscillator sound, throw on the LPF (which I'm SERIOUSLY gassing for) and maybe the phaser or MuRF and you should have a pretty nice synth sound. That said... It's not perfect. It's not gonna be quite near as thick as a Moog bass sound. IMO if Moog would come out with octave and ADSR filter pedals that would complete it. Anyway that's my opinion on it.

Brian

16. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    I think that once you have tried just 'throwing a freqbox, lpf, phaser and maybe murf' together, and have tried a bms, your opinion would be a bit different.

17. I highlighted the important part for you Brian!

I dont think Larry wants a slew of Moogerfoogers. He thought maybe ONE of the moogerfoogers would work as a bass synth. Fact is, none of them will do as good a job on its own as the BMS. Also, a freqbox can't stack octaves, can it? The BMS can. Edit: I just noticed you don't actually have this setup, it's just an expensive fantasy! Hopefully people will figure this out and take your opinions on effects and effect combos you haven't heard for what they are worth... nothing!

Sounds like a cool setup you've got, but consider the songs Larry cited. The BMS is the clear call. If he doesn't like it, he can flip it here and try things the hard way.

Doesn't Ed Friedland play the synthbass line to "Chameleon" in his XO BMS review?

Nice. did you get the christmas deal with the external modular doohickey?

18. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Having owned both I think I agree with you. It's strange, can't really put my finger on it but the old one just sounds better. I might pick up another old one if I see one and A/B them.

Like I said in your thread, I think that's because on the Ed Friedland video he's blending in his clean bass sound. Cut that out completely and it sounds a lot more convincing.

19. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Good discussion guys - getting some great info here...

20. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The BMS does that "Moogy" noise better than the Squeezer, on the current Squeezer firmware anyway. If they get the tracking rock-solid it might compete but at the moment the behaviour of the osc isn't trustworthy enough, there's artefacts around the attack and decay portions of the note which sort-of ruin any attempts at aping a keyboard.

The Squeezer is a brilliant box in its own right though, and it will continue to improve, and the learning curve is negligible really once you've read through the params in the manual. It's a lot more flexible than the BMS but it can't beat the BMS at its own game. :)