Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moog Tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kevinevinevin, Aug 22, 2005.

1. kevinevinevin

kevinevinevin

Aug 22, 2005
    I am kind of new to effects. Does anybody know what effect or effects can replicate the kind of tone that people associate with the moog sound.

2. kevinevinevin

kevinevinevin

Aug 22, 2005
    thanks niftydog, but I don't really understand the sounds that the moogerfooger makes. i am looking for a sound like that of flashlight by p-funk and a lot of stevie wonder stuff. its kind of buzzy and saw-like. ithink i heard it once called a mwa sound.

sorry if i don't make any sense

3. hmmm, you could be talking about a clav which is an entirely different beast.

I don't really know of any convincing clav tone reproduction pedals. Maybe the deep impact, but I really don't know as I've never futzed with one.

4. kevinevinevin

kevinevinevin

Aug 22, 2005
    i couldn't find what you were talking about. that's probably my fault. i guess the tone is somewhat organ like. i hope you know what i mean.

if that does not help can someone just simply tell me what type of sounds the moogerfooger can make.

thanks

5. clavinet sound samples galore

and that link I posted earlier has moogerfooger samples for some of the gear. I recommend listening to the MuRF first.

6. kevinevinevin

kevinevinevin

Aug 22, 2005
    wow, that clavinet is the sound that i was thinking of all along. i could not find any information on that deep impact pedal. maybe there is an alternative.

7. search these forums and you'll find the deep impact (made by akai) is a highly sought after synth bass pedal no longer in production.

alternatives include the boss bass synthesiser SYB-5, the electro-harmonix bass microsynthesiser & digitech bass synth wah.

still, I think you'd need something more like a Roland V-Bass system or some other MIDI device to get close to a clavinet.

8. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    yeah i don't think any pedals can do a clavinet... maybe playing slap-style with a buzzy OD and filter could come close.

9. kevinevinevin

kevinevinevin

Aug 22, 2005
    i'm looking for a very consistent tone. i would like each note to be very even. when i slap, i can't keep all the notes at the same volume(i pop kinda loud). i dont know if that last suggestion is right for me(though i have not tried it). will slap-style mess with the tone that i want

has anyone achieved that particular tone before. it does not have to be dead on but kinda close. and if so, how

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    or midi pickup / convertor / sound module. If you really really want to nail that tone, that's really the only viable way right now

11. kevinevinevin

kevinevinevin

Aug 22, 2005
    i hear those things can be scary pricey. i have heard good things about the akai deep impact. does anybody own one of these? can they help me achieve this kind of tone?

12. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    for a clav sound and even tone, you may want to try tony levins funk fingers(like felt-ended timpani sticks attached to your fingers)...after all, a clav is a string struck with a felt hammer...
    the moog stuff is amazing, yet quite subtle ime...
    things really open up with the pedals when you use the optional mixer,
    the pedals start to work together like a modular synth...
    cheers
    d

13. kevinevinevin

kevinevinevin

Aug 22, 2005
    i still want a lot of bottom end. tony levine's tone is kind of thin and brittle. bootsy collin's tone is pretty much the closest to what i want while still being played on bass. but i don't really want my notes to wonder

14. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    tony levin thin and brittle?
    can't say i agree ime.
    you should check out his work a bit more.
    bootsy runs his fx kind of frequency- oriented, last i read
    many years ago in bass player, he had his fx post x-over to
    different amps, layered.
    but with his tone first thing that comes to mind is mutron.
    cheers
    d

15. I use a Boss OC-2 Octave and DOD FX25 Envelope Filter to approximate Moog sounds when my band plays Innervisions-era Stevie Wonder. Sometimes I add a bit of distortion from my amp as well.

16. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i may not be correct, but i seem to remember some deep impact settings being posted at some point and one of them was supposed to be a moog-type setting? try a search, as i say im not sure. but yes if any bass synth was capable of it, it would be the deep impact.

17. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    right, but he's looking for a clavinet sound, not your typical moog bass sound

18. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    yes - rest assured that i did read that :) . i just that thought with a little tweaking it might be able to get a little closer to what he is really after. especially in combination with some of the other suggestions that have been made.

19. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I think it should be pointed out that in fact Bernie Worell played 'Flashlight' on a mini moog.