1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moogerfooger Lowpass True Bypass Mod

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MonkeyBass, Apr 15, 2011.

1. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I searched the TB forums and didn't see any definitive answer on this.

Anyone know if it's possible to mod the MF101 to true bypass?

Thanks

2. ChuckBro

ChuckBro

Dec 23, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Hey MonkeyBass,

If your reason for wanting to modify the MF101 is because of the Drive knob increasing your bypassed level, I had the same problem when I used the pedal live (even though I understand Moog's reason for the design). In the studio, though, it was never an issue.
    Anyway, my way around the issue is to use this:
    Radial BigShot EFX true bypass effects loop switcher
    I put the MF in one of the effects loops and then I have true bypass for it and any other pedals that need that function.

Hope this helps.

3. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You could sell it and buy an Iron Ether Xerograph!!! Sorry, had to do it!!!

4. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    ChuckBro

That's exactly the problem.

I was looking at the Radial Bassbone. Been thinking of getting that one anyway. I guess that's the only way around it for a live situation.

Thanks man.

5. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i bought a cheap true bypass box on ebay... $20, works perfect!

6. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    there is a lot of room in the pedal's box, i am sure someone could throw a 3PDP switch into the box too.

7. i had a moog unit modded for something else, and asked if it was possible to do a tb mod while he had it open and all. the response was that its possible, but the chance for damaging the board is very high. this is coming from an extremely skilled builder. i opted not to gamble.

8. +1 ohhh yeah!

9. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I'm sort of wishing I did buy that instead... but I got such a screaming deal on this MoogerFooger I couldn't resist it.

Here's the solution I came up with just in case anyone cares.

I'm building a true bypass pedal that has a volume attenuator. The MF101 needs a lot of gain to work so whenever I kicked over to it with a standard true bypass pedal it was really loud! This way I can trim the overall volume of the output signal of the bypass pedal, and still get the gain I need into the MF101.

It's a pain to work around but it should work just fine. It's a sweet pedal just obviously not specifically designed for this application.

10. Yep. That should work and I also had the same volume problem when I put mf101 in a true bypass loop which turned out to be useless.

The mf101 is one badass pedal man. I rocked the mf101 for years but it is time for the xerograph to share the spotlight.

11. irock

irock

Mar 12, 2007
    Newmarket On Canada
    I bought mine used from aguy who bought it from another guy who modded it so it's true bypass.
    So it can be done but I have no idea how and it works perfectly

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021