Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moogerfooger MF 101 Low Pass Filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ebozzz, Mar 21, 2004.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I heard one today and it's pretty funky. Does anyone have any long term experience with one? Is it true bypass or no? Any other helpful info or tips?

[​IMG]

2. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have one and I really like it. First off: no, it is not true bypass. It does have some minor effect on tone. The drive knob is also always on (even when the pedal is switched off) the drive is basically like a volume knob.

The tone from it is very good and very versatile. I have owned a few filters in the past (mini Qtron, EBS) and this blows them away as it is very natural sounding with bass and has some grease (but is not sooooper dooooper greasy).

I highly recommend at least 1 expression pedal with it that is hooked into the cutoff frequency. I have 2 expression pedals (1 on cutoff and 1 on resonance (so I can make the resonance cause the pedal to self oscillate)).

The settings take a while to get used to, but once you find the sweet spot it sounds really good. I have mine in a loop of of a pedal so I can take it out of the chain when not needed, though in my loud funk band I don't notice a real difference with it on or off.

Overall I recommend it, plus Moog is very good about repairing the pedals (for a small cost) if anything goes wrong. I got mine used and it had a few issues, but I sent it to them (in my state) and they fixed it up like new for about $30. Now it works great.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks KB!

4. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    you know i've been looking at this boxes and i'm really interested in trying one out. anyone else have any more info or experience with any of the moogerfoogers?

-jimbo