1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Moogerfooger MF-101 VS Lovetone Meatball

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slip, Apr 25, 2006.

1. slip

slip

Apr 24, 2006
    Ive been checking out different envelope filters and have narrowed the field down to these two contenders. The Moogerfooger MF-101 and the Lovetone Meatball. I play a lot of fusion and funk stuff thus I am looking for the filter with the widest range of tonal possibilites.

I selected these two over some of the other popular chocies "q-tron, Emma Discomboulator, etc." because they both seem to offer the most amount of controll parameters, and both have the option to controll the filter with an expression pedal. Although I am a little apprehensive about the meatball after having read some articles talking about plugging in the expression pedal half way... perhaps I didn't compute that bit quite right.

Anybody experienced with both units care to wax poetic for me?

*note* the fact that I can get the MF-101 and a murf or something else for the price of the meatball may or may not be the straw that broke the camels back here...

2. JHL

JHL

Apr 8, 2005
    London, England
    I haven't tried the meatball but my Moogerfooger is the sh*t! I love it and there is nothing about it I would change.

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I have never played a Meatball, but I love my Mooger. I chose it over the Meatball because it was nearly half the price, but I do plan on getting a Meatball someday, apparently it's one o' them Holy Grail type units. From what I understand you can do a lot more with the Meatball, but there is an absolute wealth of tones to be had with the Mooger, some of which I may have found. :D

Samples:

http://nad.ultimatemetal.com/SterlingMoogerfooger(slightOD).mp3
    http://nad.ultimatemetal.com/moogerfooger.mp3

4. slip

slip

Apr 24, 2006
    Gah this is so hard to decide on. Afterall isn't the Moog filter the circuit by which all other filters are judged...

Is anybody going to convince me to drop $532.1312 on the meatball and wait a month for it to get through customs. :help:

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Get a Mutron III. I've owned the Mf-101 and the Meatball and a Mutron III.

6. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    I maybe alone in this, but I actually like the bassballs quite a bit...

i have a mutron III+ for trade if anyone is interested.

7. slip

slip

Apr 24, 2006
  8. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    I have tried them all, I stick with my trusty MXR Envelope Filter Pedal, bought in a pawn shop 25 + years ago for $15, now worth 10 times that. 30th st in NYC has a few.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you're going to drop large money on an envelope filter, step up to the plate and get a Mutronics Mutatoror a Waldorf X-Pole.
    More tweakable options than the Meatball, with better repeatability, for a similar price used.

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Lets not forget the Sherman Filter Bank.

11. slip

slip

Apr 24, 2006
    so much for having tis narrowed down to two choices.

DAMN YOU ALL!

12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah, I'm curious about how this thread turns out too. Tired of wrestling with the Q-Tron. So far it looks like the MoogerFooger.

13. slip

slip

Apr 24, 2006
    Ok, I looked at all of these as well as the Sherman. Probably a used X-Pole would be the cheapest of the bunch. If I could find one my guess would be $500-600USD on the price unless of course it came form a pawn shop/gargae sale. The mutronics is a bit pricey at $1200USD. The Sherman did seem reasonably priced.

I find it hard to justify paying twice as much for a dual channel box when my primary application is live. And I don't do stereo effects as part of my live rig. I'm sure I could find uses for both channels if I had to. ^^

In the studio the mutator or the Sherman would be great. Has anyone used one of the rack filters in question in a live enviorment outside of say experimental music?

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Not the direction you asked about, but I wanted to mention a "sleeper" filterbank for experimental/stereo applications: the MAM RS3 Resonator. It's a freakin' amazing-sounding unit with three separate envelope following filters that pan in stereo. I use it a LOT. And when you find them, they are fairly inexpensive (around $150-ish). You can hear samples of it through the "glitch dubscapes" link in my sig (try this clip). Unfortunately it's one more piece that isn't well-suited to monophonic bass guitar on stage.

15. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I haven't tried the Moog pedal, but I did own a Meatball some years ago ('96 to '98).
    I believe these two pedals use very different filter circuits. The Moog uses the transistor ladder 4-pole VC LPF - it is 24dB/oct and only lowpass. The Lovetone has a stave-variable VCF - it is 12dB/oct and gives low pass, band pass, and high pass, selectable with the rotary switch.
    So, even if the sidechain circuits were the same (which I'm sure they're not) the two pedals would sound quite different.
    If I only had my computer sound interface, I could have recorded some clips with 2-pole SV and 4-pole Moog filters, and you could hear for yourself... alas, it can't be done right now.

Edit: Sorry, the Lovetone filter isn't a "proper" VCF - it is controlled by two LDR (Vactol type) devices.

16. If I were looking for a high end envelope filter, I would probably go with Electro-Harmonix's Bi-Filter over the others that have been mentioned. You can find them at some places for about $400 bucks brand new. It's much better suited for bass enveloping duties than the Sherman or the Waldorf, although you can't save settings like on the X-Pole. And it's capable of a lot of sounds that the Meatball and the Moog can't approach.

17. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I still find that I can get a wide variety of sounds just by turning really one knob on my Pigtronix EP-1. Sorry for jumpin the thread and suggesting something other than your choices... but I like it :p