Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MoogerFooger MF-101 vs Mu-Tron

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LeftyLB70P, Jun 2, 2005.

1. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    Hi all,

I am in the market for a new envelope filter and these are the 2 that I am the most interested in. Can I please get some comparisons and some feedback from those of you who own or have owned and/or player through the two.

How would you describe the differences? What are the chief characteristics of each? What are their individual strengths & weaknesses?

I have played through the Mu-tron so I have an idea of it's tone. I have also owned a BassBalls & Boss AW-3. While I may pick up something different in the future, for right now I really want one of these 2. I am heavily leaning towards the MoogerFooger MF-101, so input is greatly desired & appreciated.

2. I tried out a MF-101 and i hated it...ive played thru mutrons, i own an emma discumbobulator and a maxon af-9, have had bassballs and qtron, and various other funky boxes, and i jsut hated the mf-101...it was so freaking complicated to use, and i was pretty much only able to dial in noise i hated...ugh...i like the maxon and the emma, theyre simple, sound great, and cheaper than the mf-101...i like to use my emma w/ a bit of SLIGHT overdrive b4 it to give it some extra oomph...but o man that was the worst experience ever w/ the mf-101

can i get my free t-shirt now? even tho i tried it almost a year ago?

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    If you are just turning knobs then it may seem complicated but once you understand the functions of the knobs its easy. I spent about 30 minutes with one today and got the craziest funk sounds out of it. Tried an EBS bass IQ for about 5 minutes (easy one to use) and said I dont think so. Im going home with the MF-101. :D

4. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I agree. I like the 101 alot. I only wish it were true bypass.

5. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    +1 :p

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I used to own the Moogerfooger and loved it. I went through a period of not using effects and got rid of it. Dumb move. I love the moogerfooger. I didn't find it difficult at all to use. It's great with an expression pedal. Be well aware though that my suggestion is to get a looper to bypass it when you're not using it. The moogerfooger really effects your tone even when not in use. I hated that. I'd buy one again for sure though but with a looper.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Do what I did, pay $17 through the Moog store.

I bought it because I AM an idiot, not because I don't like their effects.