Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MoogerFooger!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by john turner, Jul 14, 2000.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm getting one of these for my birthday, Woo Hoo!!! i'm really stoked up, i played one at last year's summer namm show, and it was killer - an envelop following low pass filter - controls how "open" a wah-wah sound is by the volume of the note. it follows the volume "envelope" of the bass notes that you play, and uses that as the control for the wah-wah sound.

anyway, anybody else have one of these groovy babies? this is going to be my first "stomp box" in over 10 years, i feel like a kid again!! [​IMG]

------------------
    john

"Bad Muttluk, No Anuses!!" - our own lil'biski

2. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Yup, ive tried em' all, and short of the Lovetone Meatball the moogerfooger is the fattest sounding envelope filter.
    A few tips: Be conservative with the frequency and the amount controlls, Keep the drive up as far as you can get it without getting distortion,and buy one of the expression pedals to change perameters while your using it in a live setting. The only complaint i have heard about this unit is that it can kill your lows if you have it set improperly. Your gonna LOVE this pedal. Check out the moogerfooger controll voltage prossesor too. www.bigbriar.com

3. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    I want one just because the name is badd ass!

[This message has been edited by rmp5s (edited July 19, 2000).]

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    houston, WE HAVE MOOGERFOOGER!!!

came in the mail today. what a quality unit - how many stomp boxes have you ever seen with wood panels on the sides? [​IMG]

gonna test it out tonight, have some recording to do. i'll post an indepth review in the next few days.

------------------
    you wanna see a frustrated guitarist? let a guitarist try to do something useful on one of my basses. _THAT'S_ a frustrated guitarist.

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i know, i've been totally slack. i'll get on it today or tomorrow. [​IMG]

------------------
    you wanna see a frustrated guitarist? let a guitarist try to do something useful on one of my basses. _THAT'S_ a frustrated guitarist.

[This message has been edited by john turner (edited August 03, 2000).]

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, finally, i am getting on the ball

i've tried out the moogerfooger quite a bit lately and i have been soundly impressed.

my impressions :

1. looks very cool - wood panel sides like the old moog keyboards. same knobs and general appearance as the old moogs.

2. there is no audible clicking when the unit is engaged. instead of a clicker switch, the unit has a momentary toggle that is absolutely silent.

3. no loss of low end whatsoever that i could tell, even using my low F# equipped basses. envelope-following tone controls and wah-wahs in general tend to cut some of the low end as they work on the mids, so the effect can be more noticeable. this is fine for guitar, but on bass it ends up sounding lame in my opinion.

not so the moogerfooger - the low end is untouched, and the effect is still very pronounced.

4. the unit has a very transparent tone. many times i have played my basses through effects units and been unsatisfied with the way the unit affects my tone when it is engaged. of course the effect, whatever it is, is going to have an impact on my tone, but sometimes effects units seem to get real tinny or harsh sounding when engaged, and it is nothing to do with the effect itself, but rather a poor quality signal path.

again, not so the moogerfooger - with the unit engaged it sounded just like my bass, just with the effect on it that i wanted. this is important to me. i didn't spend thousands of dollars on a bass (or basses) to turn around and have their tone squelched by a US$.05 cheap-a$$ op-amp. the moogerfooger's signal path is very clean.

5. the most important aspect - the effect itself and how it sounds. i like it.

a word of explanation about envelope-following tone controls. often called just envelope-followers, what they do is use the volume envelope of your playing as a variable voltage across a midrange tone control. put simply, they act just like a wah-wah pedal, except instead of having to push pedal down to open up the "wah" sound, you play harder. low volume playing has the deep tone of a wah-wah pedal pulled up, and high volume playing has the open, high end tone of a wah-wah pedal pushed down. by varying one's dynamics, one can get a really cool effect, freeing one's feet for dancing :D

this is a tricky effect in that to get the effect tone repeated one must have a fairly good control of ones dynamics, although the effect still sounds really good when one just plays and gets stupid on it. still, though it is one of the few effects that one can actually "play" meaning use it as an aspect of one's technique.

tomorrow i will follow this up with an overview of what the 5 knobs and 2 switches on the unit do.

7. He didnt say what tomorrow right?

Its like that old song bythe Beatles.. Tomorrow never comes... erhhm Tomorrow never knows, that is ;)

Oh well, maybe tomorrow then.

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, sorry, got sorta sidetracked, and i forgot. tomorrow will come, promise :D

9. i also have a moogerfooger except i am actually not extremely happy with how it sounds... it sounds damn good dont get me wrong but wasnt exactly what i was looking for... i think i will keep it but im still searching...

how much did you pay for yours JT... i got mine 150 used with an expression pedal and power supply