Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mooks Tracks

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Michael Case, Jun 9, 2004.

1. I sent 2 tracks to Damon, Solar and Stella By Starlight. When they are up I hope to hear some feedback (be gentle, but honest). I'm nervous and excited. :hyper:

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Way ta go, Mike!

3. One thing, the tunes I submitted were recorded recently. I told Damon that we had recorded in september '03 and he must have misunderstood me (or I wasn't clear), either way it's cool. I'd like to hear what people think (if anyone has listened), be honest, but gentle if possible.
    Thanks Damon, it's a great thing you have done for TB!

4. Great playin, Mike. In Bone´s thread you use the word "tasteful", and that was my first impression when I listened to YOUR stuff. I liked both of your tracks, both the tone and feel. You are doing nice job as an accompanist, but it seems that you really know what´s happening in the music, too. Those cuts are kinda short, so the solos are not long
    ( the same thing as my tracks ) but your comping during the solos shows excellent ability of listening, and making a creative line.
    Also I liked your way of playing the head in "Solar", using metric variations to create tension ( whether it was pre-arranged or a moment´s decision doesn´t make an difference ). It shows a kind of musicality, which only could have been achieved by listening a lot of jazz, and knowing the tune inside out, and knowing what you want to do.
    You are adding your own voice to a standard tune, as well as others in your group, and that creates interesting music.

I dunno how much you been playin with those guys, but I got a feeling that you are in the same level of thinking, music-vise. Good Work, Mike!

R2

5. Thanks Arto for taking the time to listen and comment. I have been playing with the guitarist and pianist since September the drummer and I go back about 4 years. The things that happen on those tracks are spontanious, the tunes are short because it's a demo to get gigs and figure if we kept it short and sweet it would be best.
    I listened to your tracks, they sound wonderful! I really enjoyed the sound and feel, your quarter notes "pop" really keep the band moving forward. Your technique is really clean which adds to the great time feel. I liked you solo on Rupert, it spoke without saying too much or trying to be flashy. Your recordings show great feel and great taste, the perfect balance.
    I love this sampler idea, thanks Damon!

6. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    mook!
    I listened to your tracks and my first general impression is that your time is good and that you have some nice ideas. Some of the rhytmic stuff in you comp was real nice too IMO. The only thing I can object to is perhaps your sound. Your tone isn't bad, but to me you sound a bit "thin". perhaps a little more attitude in your attack is what Im looking for. Anyhow, those tracks were nice and swingin'!

/lovebown

7. Thanks Lovebone! I, like everyone else here is still in the search for the perfect sound. The Velvet Animas have helped and now I'm looking into getting my right hand technique a little more together (open string exersizes). Plus I'm going to look into another soundpost adjustment.

8. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Mike
    Solar sounds really good. I didn't hear the sound as "thin" just maybe not as "present". The fundamental seems strong. I think the comment on attack by another TBer is a good suggestion. Nice job man.

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Man -- missed this whole thread somehow....

Anyhow, sounds good Mook. I agree that your tone isn't thin. Perhaps it's a matter of speakers attached to Lovebown's computer. I even turned down the subwoofer here to verify. I also agree with the presence comment above, but something like that could be the way you were mic'ed as well.

I'd like to hear a little more pop 'n snap to the feel. I think you can maintain the sound and flavor that you're looking for but make it dance a little more.

Overall, sound great!

10. Thanks guys, sorry it took me a while to respond, I've been moving and have no phone yet so I only come online at an internet cafe. I really appreciate the comments and will spend time working on your suggestions Ray.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Mike - just listened to "Stella", and I have to say, you sound really good. I like the "broken two" space you're starting to explore on the head. STELLA is a great tune to explore in this way because the space between melodic phrases is often long and uninterrupted. One neat thing to practice when exploringthe "broken 2 feel" thing is what I think of as "2-part invention" exercises, where you try to create a countermelody to each melodic statement from the lead player (guitar in your case) and then mere back into accompanist mode by the time the next melodic fragment is due. This can lead to overplaying if you're not careful, but I'm sure you have the taste to edit the bass part down to a reasonable level of counterpoint.

On your solo, you sound strong, so I don't have too much to say...one thing, though, are you able to hear the guide tones (3&7) through these changes all the way through? There are several places where I hear you jump to the root in the middle of a solo phrase, which reminds me of one of my "bad habits" when soloing. ;) To counteract this in my own playing, I try to practice singing my way through the changes to make sure I can hear the upper partials of all of the chords as well as the roots. Usually, I find that if I can sing them, they'll find a way to come out when I'm playing.

Good stuff! Keep on keeping on, and don't be shy about slapping new stuff up there on the Sampler page. :bassist:

12. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    That sounds like an outstanding ear training exercise. Thanks!

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

You're very welcome! :)

14. Thanks Chris, I hear what you're saying about soloing and hearing guide tones. Lately I've been trying to start and finish phrases on a guide tone avoiding roots at all cost. It's really making a big difference, plus I've been practicing some PC lines and 3, 5, 7, 9 licks. It's all starting to seep in and make a difference.

Thanks for all the good feedback!