1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Moollon P-classic V: What is your experience?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BryanB, May 3, 2017.

1. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi all -

I am very close to pulling the trigger on a Moollon P-classic 5 string. I read lots of great reviews on his classic series, and heard great videos of the P-classic IV. There seems to be nothing out there on the 5 string version. I owned Fender Am. Std. precision V's a couple of times and they've always left me unsatisfied. (But I love th P-bass sound.) The big issue I've had is with a lack of solid fundamental from B0-F1. I know that part of the P-charm is that it favors the low-mid harmonics over the fundamental when getting into the lowest notes. It's what I think adds to its punch and girth. But the low notes on the B-string of my old Fenders seemed out of balance harmonically. I am hoping the Moollon would be better at this. If you have any experience with the Moollon P-classic V, I would love to hear from you.

2. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I realize this is a long shot, but I am hoping someone here has a Moollon P-classic 5 they can tell me about. Otherwise, it looks like I'll be the first one!

3. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I had the J Classic 5 and it's amazing. I sold it because I got sick of Jbasses and 5 strings. I would personally highly suggest a Moollon if you have the cash, but when it comes to P basses, I much prefer the 4.

The J Classic 5 is the best passive J 5 string I have used. The B just sounds like it should be there. Not sure if that will be the case with the 5 or not , just due to the nature of the P bass sound.