1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No longer available Moollon P5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by TomB, Aug 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Price:
    $2400
    Strings:
    Moollon full front.jpg
    For sale is my almost-new Moollon P5 bass. It is lovingly hand-crafted in the vintage Fender tradition, true silver nitro candy-apple red, ebony board, quarter-sawn neck, fully passive, with standard P controls and a P-bass personality - the 34" scale B-string blends seamlessly. The double-J humbucking pickup is contoured to match the 16" fb radius for very even response. It comes in right around 9 lbs and hangs just right on a strap. It plays beautifully and is in near-new condition.

Here's your chance to obtain one of these rare beauties without the wait or overseas shipping, and enjoy some real savings as well (new it is $2,700+). This will be shipped in its Moollon custom hard shell case with all the original case accessories included for $2,400 plus shipping costs. It will also include a brand-new custom-made Tortoise-shell pickguard, should you prefer that look. For further information, you can also contact Andi (@Ultradust) at Moollon Guitars.

My trade interest is in an unlined 5-string fretless, semi-acoustic preferred. Other options will be politely considered. Thx!
    IMG_0418.JPG IMG_0419.JPG IMG_0420.JPG IMG_0421.JPG IMG_0422.JPG IMG_0423.JPG IMG_0424.JPG IMG_0425.JPG

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  2. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Excellent TB'er to work with !!! These are cool basses, I played one at NAMM..

TomB likes this.
  3. rigorous bass

rigorous bass Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Moollons are great but I haven't tried this one.... does it sound like a p bass?

4. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Yes. It IS a P-bass and it sounds like one - but with a B string :).

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  5. rigorous bass

rigorous bass Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Of course it in the physical sense! How about that big double J humbucking pickup? Im sure in a technical sense it works very similar to a regular p pickup as far as humbucking and placement. Ive just never played one or seen one with the extra pole pieces on the bass and treble sides in comparison to a traditional p pickup. So that's why I'm wondering. I owned a 5 string J Moollon for a bit so I am well aware of the quality and the attention to vintage style tradition on these basses. This pickup just throws me off a bit... Sorry for being anal!!! I'm just really curious.... as my search for the perfect 5 string P bass continues. Thanks

6. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I guess you're asking if I think it sounds like a P-bass. Yes, to me it does, and I've owned a few P-basses. If I had to guess why, I'd say it's mainly the pickup location, but also an attention to details, like custom-made tuners and a slotted barrel bridge, that are part of the vintage P personality. I don't notice a difference from the "extra" pole pieces you mention, but do notice an even-ness in response across the strings and up and down the fingerboard that I suspect may be partly related to the radiused pickup and in general to the overall high quality of construction. No "dead spots" on this one to my ears :).

7. portraitoftracy

portraitoftracy

Sep 27, 2005
    Chico, CA
    More pictures would be nice

8. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Here are your pics. Enjoy! :)

9. What's the scale length on this baddy?

10. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    34 inches. Thx for asking!

11. laflamme

laflamme Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2008
    That is soooooo cool looking. I bet it sounds and plays killer. Sweet piece!

TomB likes this.
  12. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Yep, a real beauty... Thx!

13. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    @TomB, I have an offer. PM sent.

TomB likes this.
  14. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    ...untraded (got you back in my arms again!) :)

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021