Moon Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Hi,
    I just traded a Mesa Scout(and some cash) for a Moon bass.
    I love this bass.It is a 5 string Jazz bass with dimarzio ultra jazz pickups and a aguilar opb3.
    I know next to nothing about Moon basses.I found only one reference on the web and it was in Japanese.I know Larry graham plays one and they are supposed to be great instruments.I couldn't be happier with mine.It sounds and plays incredible.I was playing my 74 Jazz with a Sadowski exclusively but now I am just going to play the Moon.
    Does anyone else here have a Moon?Any info on the company?
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Moon Guitars

I'm sorry it's in Japanese but you can still see what they have going. They make some nice J basses! I'd love to have the Larry Graham custom job with the mic connection.
  3. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I had a Moon J5 for awhile and loved it. I miss it but I went back to 4's. Mine, I'm guessing, was a mid 90's with SD Basslines and preamp. The thing was killer and easily on par with any boutique J's I've played which are made in the US.

Here's a pic of my formerly owned and much loved Moon:
  4. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
  5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    In the latest issue of "Bassplayer" Magazine, Pino Palladino mentions that he has a Moon bass in his arsenal.
  6. I never ever played one but when I see those pics, all I have is GASSSS..
  7. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well all i know is current moon basses come with Kent Armstrong pickups, and everything else is made by Moon. It has a Passive/Active pre-amp i believe, called blackbird. I think they have Titanium truss rods. They are supposed to be funk machines but i've heard them in a rock setting and they sound great. I would probably order one right now, if only the bridge wasn't vintage fender style.
  8. Beautiful Bass thanks for sharing the pics,Mike.Actually,the bridge is very nice and not a vintage fender design.
    My friend who I bought the bass from was the one who put in the Ultra Jazz and the Aguilar.I sure hope he loves the Scout as much as I love the Moon.It is the nicest bass I have ever played.And I have been at it for 28 years.Like I said I couldn't be happier.
    a titanium truss rod?That's interesting.By the way I saw that Randy Hope Taylor from the band Incognito also plays one.
  9. Coco'

Apr 24, 2001
    Milano, Italy
    You can see Palladino playing a black Moon JJ bass in the "Party at the palace" dvd.
    Mike, your moon bass was gorgeous.
  10. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well the one which was posted does have a Badass type bridge, the DJB(which i would want to get) has a vintage style fender bridge. Also i have a feeling only certain newer Moon basses have a titanium truss rod.