Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moon Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stewmc5222, Mar 2, 2006.

1. hey all,

can anyone point me toward a site with information on Moon basses? I'm looking specifically for anything about the dimensions of the pickups used on their J-basses.

thanks!

Stew

2. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
  3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Stew, there was an article in Vintage Guitar Magazine several years back about them. Doing a search on thier site may bring it up. That's about all the help I can provide.

4. Stew,

Good luck finding information in Moon basses, there is not a lot avaialble in English. Moon is a Japanese company, here is their website:

http://www.moon-guitar.co.jp/

I have 2 Moon basses, a JJ model I bought from Japan from the dealer who sells them on ebay, I think his user id is: mijsixstringkatana See my Avatar attached to this post for a picture of the headstock.

The other is a Moon Climb 5 string I found in a pawn shop in Kansas City. It was a mess, someone had painted the entire bass with a wood laquer using a paintbrush. Bridge, pickups and all. After a restoration project that took me several months it is a great playing bass and until recently was my "A" player. I have attached a couple of pics for you.

Not much info is out there. If you find anything interesting, post it here for the rest of us "Moonophiles"

Steve

Attached Files:

5. thanks, guys! any help is much appreciated!

if I find anything, I'll absolutely post it here.

Stew

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    *Doh! I completely screwed up. The article I was thinking of was Moonstone instruments, from northern California. Oops!

7. HA!

no worries, man. keep your eyes and ears out for Moon stuff, if you can.

thanks and take care,

Stew

8. hamertek98

hamertek98

Apr 3, 2004
    Indiana
    Nice MOONS! I've never played one myself, but always wanted to. I get to Ft. Wayne 4-5 times a year. (HINT)

9. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    my pickups are moon single coils, the neck pickup is a hair under 3 9/16ths, the bridge is 3 5/8ths. gotta go jam w/ the moon. post your moon pics!!!

10. thanks, Jason! that helps a lot!

:D

Stew