1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moon basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuprF1y, Jan 18, 2013.

1. SuprF1y

SuprF1y

Feb 16, 2011
    Sydney
    I'm wondering about their history as I just bought the one pictured :D
    Alder/Maple, bart pups and NTCT pre. 9.8lbs.

From what I understand Moon
    • started off as an independent company
    • got bought by pgm
    • became musiccrown
    • are now trading independently again

Can anyone confirm any of this and fill in the dates and the background of what happened.
    Were the instrument of a consistent quality over the years?

Attached Files:

2. That thing is absolutely gorgeous! Love the glamour shots!

From the picture it looks like I'm looking at a high end Sadowsky or Lakland.

3. SuprF1y

SuprF1y

Feb 16, 2011
    Sydney
    lol. Yeh the silk/satin sheet really sets the tone.
    They're the shots from the website I bought it off. It doesn't land on my doorstep for another week or so.

Can't wait.

4. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    My Moon jazz isn't as purdy as the one above but it is an excellent j bass in it's own right. Mine has a PGM sticker inside of the control cavity. I'm thinking it was made in early 1990's judging by the numbers on it's neck plate, but that's just a guess.

I have been wondering about the overall history of Moon basses myself. I even emailed a guy in Japan that probably knows a thing or two about Japanese made vintage basses, but have not heard back from him.

Maybe somebody here knows and would care to share some history of these cool basses...?

Attached Files:

5. There is really only one "Moon" bass on planet earth.

And I own it.

photo3hi.jpg

Get out of my Solar System!

(LOL)

☼

Love the looks of that bass.

Do you want to sell it to me?

Serious!

6. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I own a burgundy mist JB-5 identical to yours. I bought it in the late '90's from Luthier's Access Guild in Chicago. They were repping Moon at the time, but becoming frustrated because of communication (language) difficulties. I think they eventually gave up the line, but definitely not based on quality issues. These are extraordinary instruments, on a par with any custom-made Fender-style I've played. They did (still do?) have a web site, if your Japanese is up to snuff. You might be able to learn more about Moon from Steve Lenard if he's still with LAG. He sold me mine, and it's provided 15 years of excellent service to date. GREAT electronics!

7. The only thing I know about Moon Basses is that Larry Graham has played 'em for years. He even has one with a built-in vocal mic protruding out of the front of the body. Hell, I'm thinkin' Moon has just maybe even been around longer than Sadowsky has, when it comes to building high-end Jazz Basses.

Here's his Signature Model:

8. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Here's the Moon website: www.moon-guitar.co.jp

To translate a page into English or any other language go to Google Translate, paste in the page URL and select the appropriate languages.

http://translate.google.com/?tl=ja#auto/en/ The translation isn't 100% but you'll get the idea.

One of my basses is an older JJ5. The build quality is as good as it gets and the bass kicks butt.

9. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    Below is copied from the "about us" link in the google translated - Moon Japan website:

In 1978, the start of production start-up as part of the MOON.

In 1979, devised a 22 fret Neck Replacement for Strat Inc. Fender (. Was developed by PGM Plus One Fret Neck that is now commonplace in the world) and the start of full-scale production the guitar and bass brands MOON.
    The same time, we also began production of component parts Schecter Guitar & Bass of use.

The TOTO "Steve Lukather" Model, this guitar is very shocking that all parts Gold, in neck bright red body became a hot topic in the world, we have received many inquiries as well a dozen years later.

We have been making in the build-up pace stubbornly, as the backbone passion for music, automation has been limited as a few a day "MOON" brand Te 4 members still even in modern society for granted .

The world and will continue to grow domestic guitar scene, along with the people of the player.

10. I have a JB-5 and inside the neck pocket and on the heel of the neck is handwritten # 634 98-1-20 and the numbers 12 and 179I don't know what those mean) I don't know if Moon is now a big production builder but mine definitely seems to be a hand built instrument.

11. Keef66

Keef66

Oct 15, 2013
    PGM merely means "Pro Guitar Manufacture", which has been part of their formal name at least as far back as 1990. I don't know anything about MusicCrown, but Moon was on hard times for a while and pretty much disappeared from local stores.

Now they're coming back, luckily. The workmanship seems similar, although they seem to be going for these very thin, orange-peely lacquers that don't appeal to me. Luckily, I already have two from the pre-trouble period.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021