Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moon Climb-5 anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nemo, Dec 19, 2005.

1. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Hello, I have an eye on an used Moon Climb-5 I have found on one online pawnshop.
    It is intriguing, looks very nice with mahogany body, wenge body top and back and wenge fingerboard. Pickups are J-J config, active. I dont know if these are original pups, looks like someone swapped them for cheapos (?) Hard to say.
    Moon does not produce them anymore, they retailed then for over 2k, this one is for about grand.
    I have heard only good things about Moon basses. I cannot try it by myself, so I ask if anybody have it or played this particular model? Thanks.

2. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
  3. She looks like a pure beauty!

-ryan-

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    They're actually pretty good basses. If the price is right, I say get it.

5. I have a Climb 5 string with bartolini soapbars. The headstock and logo on mine is a little different but the body woods look similar. It is for me, the best bass I have ever played or heard. I have owned just about everything and this bass is the one I always go back to. Interesting also is that I also found mine in a pawn shop. It was a mess. Someone had painted a couple of coats of laquer over the body with a brush, covering pickups and all. Many hours of restoration later I can say it was worth it. A grand is a bit high on the used market for a relatively unknown bass, offer $500 cash and see what happens ;)

6. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Thanks guys for all comments, it looks it could be a really good bass.
    Bassdr, I believe these soapbars on your bass add a lot of goodnes to the sound, who knows about these singles. They even look like swapped for some noname brand (?).

I am also considering Lakland 55-02 which I can at least try personally (even if its couple of hours drive away).
    This Moon bass is half a planet away.. so I am hesitating to order it completely sight unseen and unheard.