Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moon Jazz bass on Ebay, any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zac2944, Jan 17, 2006.

1. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
  2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Never played one, or heard of 'em, quick googling turns up nothing. Looks like a generic rebranded Japanese import.

I'm generally skeeved out by basses with a standard fender-style jazz control plate and no pickguard. It just looks incomplete.

you have a PM by the way, unrelated. :D

3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    indeed!
    Shipping on that would be $125, just keep that in mind if you're bidding. ;)

4. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I know that they are generally good basses, and I've read most of the post here on TB about Moons. I was wondering about this specific model. I've never seen one like it from Moon. I know the newer JJ models are suposed to be good, but this one is different.

5. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    i owned a Moon J5 for about two years and it was a the best J I ever owned- loved that bass. It was very comfortable, had great tone and excellent craftsmanship. had to sell all of my 5's b/c of carpal tunnel. I can't speak for every Moon because mine was the only one I had ever seen or played but, I would purchase one again if the opportunity came around.

the one in the link has a different logo on the HS than the one I owned. it may be one that was made at a later date. I think at one time they were boutique basses, a la Sadowsky, but later became mass produced.

6. I think Larry Graham played (plays?) Moon Basses...

I think...

7. Still does.. His mainly plays his 4 but also has a 5.

Just to echo what others have said, I havent heard anything bad about Moon basses..

8. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Wow, that's the sexiest Moon I've seen so far, I don't really like Larry's all-white one that much.

9. avenger86

avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    Haha, I was going to write about how Larry Graham uses them...but ya'll are too quick for me...
    Anywho, his all-whitey is gorgeous.

10. One of my basses is a Moon JJ5. It's an Excellent bass and the build quality is as good as I have seen on any of my high end basses. Moons are pretty difficult to find.

11. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
  12. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    i bought the black one with a maple board about two weeks ago. hands down the best jazz i have owned. i have owned about 8. i sold my mia fender jazz with no regrets. i have not seen very many, and not much info on moon, but i like that.

13. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    Awww, that sucks.

I would've so bought that should I've known sooner. 499 is a sweet steal.

14. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    I have a moon five from the late '80's-early '90's,not a jazz bass style it's more like a ken smith if i had to compare it to anything.they have a model they make now called a climb that's the next generation of this model.it has very narrow spacing so i don't use it live much anymore but it has a aggressive sound that record's well so it does end up on a lot of track's in the studio.

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

How could anyone not love the look of this thing of beauty?!?! I so want one!!

16. So as I.!

17. elsharko

elsharko

Dec 24, 2008
    London