Moral dilemma (internet related)..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Oct 29, 2003.

1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Evening all..well morning infact :D

I've been planning on buying a new game for my gamecube for sometime and found it online for £31.50 including 2 day PP from a big chain.

However, my local, independant gamestore (been here for about 8 years) said they had some coming in today at £37.99. I was torn between saving £6.50 or support a local business.

In the end I decided to get it offline as it wasn't in stock yet at the shop. I do feel a bit guilty for not supporting the locals bhut on the other hand I really could use that £6 (student life... :rolleyes: ).

So, hwta would you do in a similar situation, regardless of the item?
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    it's early here so excuse the math if I'm wrong.

Isn't that a 20% increase? I think that is substancial enough to warrent buying from the chain.

Did you offer the local guy a chance to match the price?
  3. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I actually found the online one at; search the product then scour for the cheapest. Prices ranged from £36 to £29.99, with different p+p prices.

Ah well, it's bought now, I try to take as much business locally as I can (afford to..).
  4. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    That's not much of a moral dilemma. :meh: :meh:
    what game is it? Viewtiful Joe?
  5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    It is for people who support their local economy instead of just buying things from whereever they find it.

I do have to agree though--an increase like that is something that you don't pay for. Being a college student, 6 bucks (don't know how much that is in England, but you get my drift!) is a lot of money to me so I can't afford to flippantly buy things.
  6. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    The thing is though, all the local shops retail it at that price, give or take a quid or so (£1), pricing competativley amongst themselves.

However, theres a differnce betwene a town game shop taht buys in 15 copies to an online mega store that buys in hundreds - nameley that one can charge a tenner less and still make sufficiant profit.

"That's not much of a moral dilemma"
    Even if you dont consider it in this respect, it is in a sense your duty to support local shops; if you dont the place will become a ghost town and online retail will dominate all.

PS: £6 = about $10
    PPS: Yeah, viewtiful Joe be the beast from the eats that I bought.
  7. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Capcom has been the superhero of this generation of gaming (minus DMC2.. ugh).
  8. I hear ya man. When I used to skateboard a lot more, I was always torn between supporting my local shop and scene, or going mail-order and getting it cheaper.

I don't really have a local music shop that I'm loyal to, so wherever I can get my stuff cheapest, that's where I'll go.