Moral obligation?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bass of Spades, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Bass of Spades

Bass of Spades

Oct 20, 2002
    Hey, I've got a question for y'all.

If you're in an originals band getting ready for the release of your first CD and touring soon after, is it alright to jam with other people?

Part of me thinks that there's no problem with it, it's my skill and I can do what I want with it. But I also see how it would be wrong, almost like cheating on my band.

An originals band is really alot like a relationship. You put alot into it, it can't work without you and vice-versa and so there should be a certain level of loyalty.

As you could guess, I'm in this position. I know I should talk to the band about it, but if it's an obvious "no you shouldn't do that", then I don't really want to ask.

I know I'm probably making alot out of nothing, but yeah. I'm still new to all of this.

2. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I think its fine to play with as many people as humanly possible, as long as you don't screw anyone over, and have your priorities.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There is a certain element out there that thinks that jamming with anyone is good. There's also a certain element out there that feels that jamming with others is completely wrong and exactly like cheating on your wife. David Lee Roth and James Hetfield are two such people. Those people who feel that way are jerkoffs.

David Lee Roth made all the members of Van Halen sign contracts to agree not to play with anyone else but Van Halen because he wanted Eddie's playing all to himself. He also made Billy Sheehan and Steve Vai do the same thing for the same reason. As far as I know, though, James Hetfield didn't have it in a contract, but he would make everyone else's lives miserable if they even thought about it. Of course, he'd make their lives miserable anyway.

It never leads to anything good in the long run. All it does is create frustration and contempt. However, if your band pays well, it might be worth sucking it up for a little while until you get frustrated.

Of course, you never mentioned how everyone else in the band feels. That's something you should discuss with them, not us. or not. Quite frankly, I don't think it's any of their business.
  4. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    I think that if I was to play gigs with other people they guys in my band would be pissed off because it could mean I might end up running away with a new band (which is unlikely) But I think just jamming with people is fine and its a good thing to do to expand your horizans/get new ideas/different input. I don't know how the guys in the band would feel if I jammed with others regularly they probably wouldnt be too happy about it but I think that its a good thing to do personally.
  5. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Can't see any problem really, but it can be taken to the absurd like the music community in Dallas. There are a few (maybe 10) guys who are in multiple - and when I say multiple I mean like 4 to 8 different bands at a time. These people are talented folks, but I have found their zealous participation kills potential opportunty for other musicians in the area.

"Bands come and bands go. You just gotta keep playing."
    - The character of Del Paxton in That Thing You Do