Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

moral question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Coutts_is_god, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Inspired by that awsome thread:hyper:

If you were at this old laddies estate sale. I'm saying like 95 years old. She is selling everything in her house so she can move to a "home".
    So you going through some stuff and you come across a bass case. In side that bass case was a dusty old 51 Fender P-bass. All orginal parts, works perfect no dents or anything. Just needs a set up job and good ol' polish.
    That old lady comes up to you and says "Oh that was my sons. He bought it when he was about your age (Asume you are 16) He never played the thing. Just kept it in his closet. Then I moved it into my storage area for 55 years. You can have it for 5 bucks"

Would you take it?
    Would you offer her more money?
    Would you try to bring the price down to $3?

It truly doesn't matter if it in US or CND dollors:D
    "Also asume all my ages and years are correct and reasonable"

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'd cut her a good deal on it, and assure her it would be kept safe and put to good use.

3. I think I would explain to her exactly what she has, and how valuable it really is. So it would be up to her if she wants to sell it for much more to make money for the home, or let it go to me for more than 5 (although not as much as it is deserved, as I couldn't afford it). So I would try to offer her more, but she would no longer be ignorant and she can decide what she wishes to do with it.

Hope I didn't cheat? Definantly got me thinking though, good question.

4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    $20 and I'd help her out the rest of the day.

5. Tell her how much it's worth

I'm sure she'd be thankful and say I'm such a 'nice young boy'

And would still probably accept 5 bucks for it

6. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I would pay the 5 buck's... and be as happy as a bug inna rug.

7. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I think that if she makes the offer first,it's a done deal.You're not obligated to tell her how much it's really worth. She obviously doesn't know anything about it,and probably doesn't care.Give her the 5$ and be on your merry way.She set the price,so nobody is being misled or ripped off.

8. I'd insist on giving her $100, it'd still be a major bargain and she'd feel like she did extremely well on the sale

9. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I would definitely tell her how much it is worth, and even offer to help her in selling it. (I'm sure she wouldn't know about ebay or vintage guitar stores.)

I mean she's 95 years old and selling her belongings to go to a home! That bass would probably give her more than the money she needs...there's no way I could take advantage of her.

On the other hand...if I saw a great deal like this in a pawn shop or something, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

10. I hope I'd do the same given a situation like that.

+1 on the pawn shop thing as well. They'd hose you in a heartbeat.

11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'll give her 50$ bucks for it and tell her it's worth even more than 50$. Way more.

12. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    I'd probably tell her it's worth a lot more and offer her a grand for it. i.e. make sure she sells it TO ME! I wouldn't let that one pass away. I'd feel good about contributing to her pension fund and getting a kickass bass for myself.

Then I'd keep the bass. No way I'm e-baying that one!

....at least until I'm 70 years old and make a million out of it.:D

13. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Here's $10. keep the change. Run away with the bass laughing.

14. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    500.00 help her the rest of the day AND visit her at the home. i'm an athiest but i do believe in karma big time. sounds to me like her family is'nt around so if good fortune smiles on you, smile back. i also have a great deal of respect for the "greatest generation"

15. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I would've bought the thing immediately, to make sure no one else ran off with it, and then come back later to offer her a couple hundred. Everyone's happy.

You do have the bass in your posession now, right?

16. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I would beat her head in and take it.

Nah just kidding. :bag:
    I would tell her what she has and offer her a fair deal.

Jim

17. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    Why is she moving anyway, she's 95, shes gonna die soon...

18. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    whats with all these people getting free instruments? haha. first one guy gives an amazing p bass to a guyfor free, then this guy finds an awesum vintage and has a chance to get it for almost nothing.

why doesn't this happen to me? hahaha

jus kidding man. i think you should definitely tell her. but knowing people, she'll still let u buy it for 5.

19. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    It means nothing to her, maybe her son never writes or calls. He's not helping her. I'd figure I was getting over on the son, not the lady. Take the deal and run.

There goes my ethical standing.:rolleyes:

20. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    i'd give her what she was asking for it... the only reason items like that (mass produced, cheap to make modular musical instruments) are very very expensive is because we buy into this phony inflated magical voodoo-chasing vintage guitar worship window-licking geekery... very little of which has anything to do with music making

on a practical note, it's a bass, made of wood and metal... it goes 'twang' and that's all... it doesn't cure cancer and it doesn't help you walk on water... it might sound very nice but it won't sound 100 x nicer than a $500 bass

you might say "oooh no, it's worth at least $50,000"... but erm... not to HER it's not... it's worth $5 to her if that

i'd give her $5, sell it to someone with more money than sense for as much as I could get, and for 1% of the proceeds buy a bass that sounds identical