Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Morality question!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Masamax, Jan 10, 2004.

1. I perhaps may have the opprotunity to work with a very talented songwritter who is trying to form an interesting sort of rock/string band. I should emphasize that he is very talented.

http://indecline.net/bands/geoffhawryluk//Eau - demo - 02 - Shoka i)Shin%20ii)Soe%20iii)Tai.mp3

He made this as an example, with everything played by him, as to what he wants to do. The band I am currently in I joined for a show in February as a replacement bassist, and really like the people in it. But the kind of music they want to play doesn't esspecially mesh with everything I like, and even if the demo is picked up by a record company (cause a couple have shown interest) I may or may not be happy.

I would have to quit the band I am in RIGHT NOW to get with this other guy, and I am not sure I like that. With a show in a month it would leave em high and dry. What do you guys suggest? Follow my heart and creative likes or stick it out and be a good guy as well by not leaving people I like screwed over?

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If you're willing to drop other people in it, then you've got no reason to complain when the same happens to you. If the singer/songwriter guy is insisting you drop them immediately, I'd be a bit suspicious - how do you know that he's not going to drop you, without notice, when he finds someone else who's playing he prefers? What's his past history of working with people?

Especially if you like the people in the other band, I'd go more gently. You might need to tell them that you won't be able to carry on past February but if you flit too lightly from project to project you might end up with a reputation as someone who doesn't settle.

Wulf

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If you'd have to drop one project 'RIGHT NOW' to do the other, something seems amiss. Either the new guy is making unreasonable demands (in which case forget him), or you overcommited to the other project by taking some blood brother oath of loyalty which would make a second project an act of treason requiring a split (in which case you should abide by your loyalties for now and remember to keep your options more open in the future).

Either way, the RIGHT NOW thing says something may not be right on one end or the other. Maybe there's more to it than this simple dilemma, but based on what you've shared, it looks that way...

:)

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Agreed, the whole RIGHT NOW thing would raise my hackles.

I won't play with anyone that won't tolerate me doing other projects as well. Plain and simple.

Just because I play music with someone doesn't mean they can dictate how I spend the rest of my time.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i kinda agree with above.

if you want to play in the new band, i'd tell the person that you'd love to, you just have a few commitments you need to tie up with your other band first. if he doesn't understand that, then i'd stick with my current band cuz he seems like a joik.

actually - there really shouldn't be any reason you couldn't play in both bands. i'm almost always in more than one band, and if a band is TRULY professional, i think they should generally understand that you're a musician - and that goes with the territory. even people who play with the most heavily booked, hugely succesful bands have side bands they play with. i'd be wary of anyone who told you you could only play in THEIR band. my opinion.

6. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Good point, Joe. The "gigspam" link in my sig is actually set up for my side-project bands to check my availability. I had to switch an "A" project to "B" project status recently and it took some tact and delicacy, but I'm still working with both bands and I didn't have to make a split or cause any hard feelings.

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

And these ain't no jack@sses that have answered you here... !

A band is not a marriage contract. Where does mutual exclusivity play into this? You guys take vows at the altar or something.

A frank discussion with your first band is in order.

"Guys, I have other interesting projects that may be available. I will continue to support your current work, however, be aware that [ insert above concerns here. ] Nothing personal, but in fairness to you, I am a musician, but one committed to doing what I think is best for my personal growth. I will honor my short term commitments, so don't panic."

You may ask them to begin interviewing replacements. You need to come to an adult understanding with them, one that doesn't limit your musical growth.

'Talented songster' gets an equally honest picture of your situation. 'I have a short term situation, here is where I stand, here is where you stand'.

They may not like the answer, but they heard the truth and know where they stand. That is a lot better for everyone in the long run, and will keep your rep and cred in good standing.

Thor