Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moratorium on "mwah"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JimmyM, Sep 15, 2005.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Of all the stupid terms people have come up to describe sounds, "mwah" is the most stupid. Not only is it meaningless, but it makes you feel like a big bag of douche when you say it. What the F is "mwah?" The sound of a bridge pickup on a fretless? Sliding into a note on fretless? The sound you make when someone shoves your bass up your ass for saying such a dumb word? "MWWWAAAAAAAHHHHH!"

So in this thread, I would like to accomplish two things. The first thing I would like to accomplish is a comprehensive list of meaningless terms used to describe sounds from musical instruments. The second thing is to come up with a better word than "mwah." One that doesn't make you embarrassed to play fretless bass, preferably.

Please don't use "mwah" anymore. You only hurt yourself and bring shame to your family.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Even worse....GROWL.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Growl is just as bad - I'm sure half the people here think it means the exact opposite to what the other half do!!

I suppose somebody has to mention :
    "pile-drivingly heavy"....?

;)

4. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    do you have another word for it?

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    It was inevitable... :smug:

FWIW, I have no problem with either term. Like most onomatopoeia-ish words, they're almost always a little off, but as far as describing audible sound in text, I think they get the job done.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Depends what you mean....

;)

7. I think both terms describe well the sound!
    So to me no problems....Just my opinion

Vince

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Right on, Vince!

Growl

Mwah

I agree words like this aren't especially elegant, but they seem to do a job. No problem as far as I'm concerned. :)

9. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I've always used the term "squonk" in describing the dynamics of fretless tone.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You need to get a supporting membership--i've already found your avatar:

[​IMG]

:D

Not that I disagree with you, but you sure are grumpy. :bag:

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I don't really care about the words. I care more about the overuse of the sound itself. But even that I really don't care about that much. People are gonna play how they play, and I don't have to listen to it if I don't like it.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Now this highlights the problem for me - I downloaded the file marked growl and that is NOT what I mean by growl at all!!

That is just an overdriven, trebly sound with some slapping!

I grew up with "growl" meaning a particular mid-range sound associated with the Jazz bass - originally Fender - but many other Jazz -like basses can get it - many people think this is to do with fretless bass but any type of Jazz bass can get it - it is just the consequence of single coil passive type pickups and a certain way of playing.

I have talked about this over the years to dozens of bass players and they know what I mean and agree - but I come on here and I know people aren't talking about the same thing and that clip proves it!! ;)

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bassmonkee, I'd be really pissed right now if that wasn't so funny.

OK, we've got "mwah," "growl" (another nebulous term that escapes me), and "pile-drivingly heavy."

I would like to add "thump" to the list as well. Although that one has a bit more of a concrete definition (dead flatwounds), it's still a dumb term, even though I use it a lot. At least it's not as embarrassing to say as "mwah." Shoot, even "pile-drivingly heavy" is less embarrassing than "mwah."

Also, that Lizzy Daymont clip, while very cool, is what I think of as growl, but others think of growl as Steve Bailey playing his fretless. So there you go...my whole point exactly. Nebulous.

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    :D

I've been asked to give both more "sizzle," and more "bam."

I said, "okay," changed nothing, and they were perfectly happy with the results. Go figure...

15. Bruce Lindfield

I've been asked to get a "drier" sound ....:meh:

Well, just wait a minute... I'll see if there is a button in this huge resonant hall that turns off the reverb!! :rolleyes:

16. I have the feeling that this thread is not so much about what the "mwah" is, but more of a "who is a more anal" showcase. But that's just me :D

17. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have no problem with "mwah" as I think it describes the sound.

18. Mwhat wis mwong whiff mwords mwike mwah?

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I swear, you guys are the pastiest bunch of funk-less dingbats on the planet.

20. The problem to me, that I encountered while trying to build a b&ass rom a very renowned luthier, is that every people have a notion of growl, mwah, good mids and so on....
    So, it is an approach that everybody have different!

Vince