Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Morbid Angel - Covenant

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tash, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    What do death metal listening TBers think of this record? In my opinion its the Master of Puppets of deathmetal. It takes the the concept of what death metal should sound like and refines it to such a perfect degree that it rewrote the rules defining quality death metal, and has yet to be topped by anyone in the genre.

2. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    i love it, especially the song God of Emptiness.

3. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    I have not listened to it in years, but I remember it was one of my fave Death metal records.

4. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I think that it is a really good album. Though I've always been a little more partial to Domination, mainly because it was the first Morbid Angel album I ever bought.

5. Covenant and Domination are my 2 favorite MA albums. I love Covenant (especially The Lions Den), it is indeed a masterpiece of death metal.

6. Covenant is great. I always considered Death - Human to be the Master of Puppets of Death metal. It has been years since I listened to MA, I will have to give it another listen.

7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yes! That song is sick. I always liked "Angel of Disease" too.

Great album...Its been awile, I'll have to dig it up and give it a listen. :bassist:

8. Anyone else here think their drummer is just a tad insane? I mean, listen to Lion's Den, that part at about 1:30 when the whole band stops except for the double bass drums and the singing. That's some of the fastest drumming I've ever heard. The only song I can think of that's faster is Blood Brothers by Malevolent Creation (If you don't know who they are, check out their CD Envenomed or Eternal, great stuff). And I know he's really playing it too, no machines. I saw them live once and his whole drum set was just shaking the whole time. He's a monster.
    BTW---I'm only talking about double-kick drums here.

9. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    blessed are the sick, alters of madness.

10. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    i recently saw morbid angel live, let's say 2 weeks ago, they had their old vocalist, and they only played old tunes.

funny thing is that nowadays i'm more into classical music and things with improvisation, and some pop music like sting, etc.., but i like some metal from time to time. some people looked me like, you're going to see what??? they didn't realized that i had a "dark" past :bassist:
    the show was great and god of emptiness and where the slime live rocked really hard.
    the lead guitarist was very into the 80s look though, i think they should look more actual or they are going to end like yngwie, :spit:
    pete sandoval told the audience that chile is the best country for metal, i wonder if he says that to every country, i bet he does! lol

the other group that played was suffocattion, there was this moment where the vocal told: "this song is about killing people, you know, when you take (i'm gonna improvise here) a hammer and you smash that bastard face, and then you bla bla, i wonder if they truly believe and feel that stuff, uhm... anyway i was laughing..... it sounded so serious.
    well that's it i needed to express myself lol :bag:

11. ^ I doubt these bands really like killing people and all that crazy crap they sing about. Some people just have a certain loyalty to their respective genres and this genre happens to be about killing and slaughtering people, so that's what they sing about. It doesn't mean they're really like that. I met the former lead singer of Cannibal Corpse (Chris Barnes) a few years ago. He wrote some of the most disgusting brutal lyrics you can imagine, but in person he's actually a pretty cool guy. I didn't think for a minute that he was about to gut me.
    BTW--Suffocation and Morbid Angel in the same night....wow. Must've been ridiculous. I'm not a huge Suffocation fan, but they are talented and I would have to go crazy at a concert like that.

12. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    well i wasn't like craaazy about it, but my bro who is older than myself was so much :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: like a little 10 year girl.

suffocation was cool, the bassist had this red bc rich-type bass and he had some cool stage moves,
    it was like *growly voice mode on* suffocating tha snaaake with... thaaaaaaaa haaaandss* growly voice mode off* at least that was how he violently used the bass as a machine of pure metal destruction. :ninja: :bassist:

it was the first time i saw groups like this live, and also going to this concert to me was like ending the circle(of my first musical background), at the end it was a cool experience, the thing is that i'm not into this music anymore, but i do aprecciate some of the "beauty" of it(or let's say that i understand a lot about it).