Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Morbid obesity discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Toasted, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    /Rant

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040810_654.html

This man is a moron. His team of 8 doctors are wasting their time. As much as he wants to lose weight now its actually going to kill him he shouldnt have got to weigh more than half a ton, its his own stupid fault and to be honest i cant believe it.

This bit amused me most:

The former restaurant manager has been bedridden since last fall and hadn't been out of his Nebraska home for social reasons in seven years.

Social reasons... such as weighing over half a ton maybe?

/Rant.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    No, this is the best part

Looks like bad luck played a genetic role here. Let's remember that it's easy to judge when you are less than 1000lbs. and try to be humane about it.

3. He COULD have just gone on the subway diet...

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    He shouldnt have got so fat in the first place. Its totally stupid.

5. How CAN you get THAT fat?

6. Agreed, I eat a ton more than most fat people, such as a large pizza for a snack or a salad bowl of cereal haha, and I'm 6'2 and 179lbs, it's just a matter of laziness, if your going to eat a lot you gotta exercise it off.

7. I agree, but i don't know if genetics can take you that far into obesity...i mean, i can understand 300-350, 500 is pushing it, 850 is really pushing it, but over 1,000? i don't know. i'm no expert, but i don't think genetics is all to blame...

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    err.. that's harsh, I wouldn't have said fat ass...

wait... 1,100 lbs.

Damn, that's a big fat ass.

pix? Wait nevermind.

9. Anyone think to tell him his favorites: pizza and burritos, was WHY he was getting so large? I'm in no way slighting this person, but really, who lets themselves get that insanely obese or even HALF that heavy before it occurs to them that they need to make a change? Sorry, but at @ 400 lbs, you should really be worrying. I'm at 265, and I am freeked out enough to recognise the problem...I'm the same height he is.

I get winded at times when I run around the room with both my kids hanging on me. And that's @ 100 lbs, tops. I couldn't imagine another 550 lbs on top of that. That's friggin crazy.

I hope this person well, but that is insane.

edit to remove heartless flip remark.

10. Seems like this guy should have played the lead role in "Supersize me."

11. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I didn't know it was medically possible to weigh that much and still be alive. Learn something every day.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think social reasons here means that he hasn't left his home for non-emergencies.

i fail to see why this pisses people off. shoot, most of you guys seem to be getting your "smug" on bigtime here. i hope you never have something happen to you that becomes impossible for you to control. :meh:

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It wont happen to me because i exercise, and eat well.

Unlike this guy :)

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What JT said. It should be obvious that anyone so obese does have a mental disorder. To suggest that they "just stop eating" is the same as telling the clinically depressed to "just cheer up". :rolleyes:

15. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Or telling a heroine addict to just say no....things arent always as easy as they seem from outside the place the person going through them is in.

Now Im not without humor. Sure I might crack a joke about someone like this as well, and hell I laughed at the "I was rick james bitch" headstone. But I agree with JT and Fuzz here. Judge not, lest ye be judged, or somethin hehe.

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

ah, youth. :hyper:

17. I'm not going to say it wasn't this guy's fault, there's a time when you start realizing you're getting a little more than "pretty chubby." However:
    I think there were also other things in effect.
    I work with a guy who has more medical problems than you can shake a stick at. Something happened 20 some years ago that caused him to have a heart attack, which affected other things, add in a chronic back injury which caused him to be less active, so he quit smoking and he started putting on weight and before he knew it he was over 300 lbs. In the past 2 years he's taken off almost 90, but he's still big and very frail. Granted there's a big difference between 300 and 1,100, but I can see it happening.

Most people can identify with not wanting to get up and walk off that pizza you just ate, but not many can really grasp that walking around the block is excessively or prohibitively painful and/or could kill you.

18. Ah. The drama that is extreme weight gain and social dependency on food.

Remember back in the old days when fat people were just fat. And no one made a big deal over it?

*Glad I have the metabolism of a humingbird*

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    did anyone read where it said he was 90 pounds in kindergarten? 250 pounds in middle school. genetic predisposition and thyroid problems are at least partly to blame here - anyone going around and saying "just stop eating" to someone in that situation is not only ignorant but callous in the extreme.

20. I didn't actually read the article.

My bad. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.