Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More "Acid Jazz"?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by count_funkula, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Can anybody recommend some bands along the lines of Galactic and Greyboy Allstars?

I really love that type of stuff and want more!

2. Check out Squarepusher's new stuff. His older stuff is really eccentric electronic music, but now it is very much tasty acid jazz. He even plays a fretless and plays it well. Groove Collective is also good; I kinda like their older stuff more though.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I like the Brand New Heavies & Liquid Soul.

Now, for something a little different & a little more 'out there'...try a 'genre'(?) called M-Base. Generally, it's a 'collective' of like-minded musicians that are into exploring a melding of 'old skool Jazz' with 'modern'('70s 'til present)R&B/Funk/Soul rhythms.
    IMHO, M-Base is closer to what I would term "Acid Jazz"...as mentioned in earlier threads around here, what is called Acid Jazz is retro-'70s Funk/R&B/Disco. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't 'get' the Jazz part. ;)

Some M-Base musicians-
    Steve Coleman
    Robin Eubanks(he has a couple nice Jazz-Funk albums)
    Lonnie Plaxico
    David Gilmore(guitarist for Lost Tribe)
    James "Blood" Ulmer's Music Revelation Ensemble
    Greg Osby

I recommend all these...if you can find them!
    Anatomny Of A Groove- M-Base Collective
    Transmigration- Strata Institute.
    Mental Images- Robin Eubanks
    In The Name Of...- Music Revelation Ensemble

4. one_skunk

one_skunk

Apr 30, 2001
    florida
    check out Robert Walters 20th congress
    karl densons tiny universe
    stanton moore's (2) solo albums

5. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    And not forgetting:

James Taylor quartet (no its not THAT James Taylor;)
    they do a kick ass version of the 'Starsky and Hutch' theme with pee wee ellis and most of James Browns horn section.

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    You can also try Charlie Hunter, but he leans a little more towards jazz than acid, but he does play a cool Novax 8 string bass/guitar combo instrument.
    Also Medeski, Martin and Wood can sort of go into that genre.

7. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Try Zero 7. I think they are considered acid jazz. They are a little funky though also. You should check them out no matter if they are acid jaszz or not. 11 peice band, all excellent players.

8. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Fela Brizillia, Tortise, Aman Tobin, Squarepusher and the like are more acid jazz. For that balls-to-tha-wall fonk,(ala Galactic) give Fat Mama a listen. Maceo Parker's "life on planet groove" is one of the funkiest albums in existance. Also, check out some Soulive.