more advice please...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by oliebrice, Oct 20, 2003.

1. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I know people on this site keep saying brand names aren't important,but I need all the help I can get trying to decide between 2 basses. I've been playing bass for about 6 months, but have since had a break of a couple of months while travelling, so its hard to judge my limited playing ability and knowledge.

One of the basses says inside Zeller - Romania Stentor Music Pro. It has a solid top and a back made of 4 peices. Does this affect aging? It'll cost me £750, feels good to play and sounds fine. I don't think it's really special, but I can't afford something really special.
    The other one says Musikinstrumentenfabrik
    Reghin ROMANIA
    It costs £900 and has a solid front and back. It has quite old orchestral strings on it which makes it hard to judge the sound (I play jazz and blues), but it sounds darker to me. It feels a bit harder to play,. but I could imagine falling in love with it over time, especially with different strings on it. I know that its been set up a few months ago by a good luthier. The bloke selling it says its abput 40 years old.

Thats about all I know - any advice?
  2. Oliebrice, since you've been around TB for a few months, this advice probably won't surprise you. With a little playing experience, sometimes you can trust your gut feelings and musical instincts. In your situation, without what sounds to me to be very little of the above, I, like probably everyone on this site, think you should seek out a teacher or professioal player, or a luthier.
    Since you're talking in pounds, i'm assuming you're in England? I couldn't get much on your profile. As you know, everything is in the adjustments...How things look and sound to you, maybe totally the opposite to another player or a luthier. Strings, sound post settings, bridge, fingerboard dressing, and many other things need to be brought into consideration because all this costs more money in the end.
    So, sorry I can't be of more help, but you really need someone to take a look and a listen.
    At the very least, you should ba able to contact a pro. through your local Musicians Association.
    You're more than welcome to contact me through email, or PM or here on this thread.
    Good luck, man
  3. O/B:
    Go to and check the bass pages. There are different models. You'll note one model is made in China.
    Musikinstrumentenfabrik is a German maker of brass, wind, and percussion instruments. Some are made in Romania, but I see no mention of string instruments anywhere.
    Do some more research. I got this from Google searches. Go slowly. Ask if you have more questions.
    I'm not sure how long basses have been coming out of Romania, but 40 years seems a bit much. Ask the bloke how he knows the age.
    Go slow, stay in touch.