Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

more affordable custom shops

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vampyre, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Vampyre

Vampyre

Dec 9, 2004
    i was just wondering if there are any more affordable custom bass shops/luthiers out there. Im talking around 1500-2000 canadian.

thanks

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Nino?

Hambone?

James Bass?

3. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Landing Bass

4. Look to some of the more indie luthiers. Many of them are part time and do it more as a hobby and so they are trying more to pay for their hobby rather than make a living.

5. Can we PLEASE make a distinction between Nino's product and that of the Roscoe shop. It is not fair to either Roscoe or Nino to compare them as apples to apples. I have never played one of Nino's instruments but by all indications from his clients, he assembles and sets up very fine instruments from high quality aftermarket parts such as Warmoth and Hipshot. Roscoe, on the other hand, builds very fine instruments from the raw board to the application of the polyester finish. There is a huge difference between the two processes and I believe that even Nino would agree with that. However, one should not get the impression that Roscoe's are Valenti's or vice versa because you've found preferences in one instrument over the other.

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    For a killer "assembled" bass, I've been really impressed with what I have seen from Nino (though I have not played one).

For a "built from scratch" bass, I am blown away with not only the quality of the basses from Pete Skjold, but also the prices. They stupendous basses for the money.

Tom.

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Valenti, LeCompte, Skjold, and Stambaugh all seem to have the reputation of getting you a great bass for a great price. Im sure there are more, but those names come up a lot in that price range.

9. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    Matt Pulcinella!

10. If only nino made 6 stringers...Do you know if he's flexible about that kind of thing?
    What is 2000 canadian in USD?
    I'm also looking for customs, so if you guys could link to whoever you're reccomending, that'd be cool.

thanks and peace

11. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Check out:http://www.barbermusic.com/index.html

His Nocturne single-cut is sweet as is his traditional double-cut away Arcadia!! Quality looks GREAT and his prices are in your range!

Jon

12. By the way, this is a great link, it has quite a few builders, and is pretty comprehensive. Bunny bass list

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have heard Michael Dolan does excellent work at a very reasonable price point http://www.dolanguitars.com/ I am planing on a project with him for the new year.

14. Fill

Fill

Oct 5, 2004
    try bee basses fred kicks ass

15. pooch0072

pooch0072

Sep 27, 2005
    which shop are these from?

16. Heard from Tim recently. He's got a waiting list (but if you CAN wait, that's a good thing...anticipation is sometimes more than half the excitement).

17. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    [​IMG]

Click Here!

:D

Joe.

18. Every one STOP SAYING LECOMPTE!!! My gas is getting way out of control.

19. mlwarriner

mlwarriner Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA
    JAF. www.ebassist.com/jaf

i've got one, and another on the way. good guys to deal with, excellent products.

my $.01, FWIW